Matt's Reviews > The Search: How Google and Its Rivals Rewrote the Rules of Business and Transformed Our Culture

The Search by John Battelle

Jun 27, 11

bookshelves: tech, non-fiction
Read from June 16 to 26, 2011

A cool look at the evolution of the internet through search engines - not just Google, but also the earlier-generation Webcrawler, Excite, AltaVista, etc - and the respective business models behind them. Much of the book details how Google went from 2 employees to thousands, from private to public, and managed unprecedented amount of growth, though the chapter I found most interesting was "Search, Privacy, Government, Evil". Even though it was written in 2005, the issues presented - Google's engagement with Chinese censorship, our own government's PATRIOT Act, consumers' changing comfort level with the linking of search/email history to targeted advertisements* - are still quite relevant today.

* Remember when Gmail advertisements began to be organized based on the content of your stored emails, or when Facebook started running advertisements based on profile-specific demographics? Doesn't it seem somewhat quant to think of the number of people who were creeped out by those practices, whereas today they're just generally accepted?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Search.