Matt Anderson's Reviews > Sweet Tooth, Vol. 1: Out of the Deep Woods

Sweet Tooth, Vol. 1 by Jeff Lemire

Jun 16, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels, vertigo
Read in June, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I originally picked up "Sweet Tooth" solely because it was under the Vertigo umbrella. I didn't know anything about the story, and to be honest, the boy with the antlers on the cover didn't look like a protagonist that I would be interested in. As the story unfolded, though, I became interested in what was happening in this post-apocalyptic world. And what caused the hybrids to spring into existence? "Volume 2" should shed more light on these issues. At this point, I am more interested in learning more about the world than I am interested in learning more about the characters. Hopefully, this will change.

My one complaint about this book is that I thought it was obvious from the beginning that Jeppard was taking Gus someplace to sell or kill him. As it turns out, it was only to sell him, but Jeppard was clearly up to no good all along. No surprise there.

I am expecting him to return to save Gus from "the preserve," since it became apparent that he had developed an attachment to Gus during their travels. Also, since the name of the whole series is based on a nickname that Jeppard gave to Gus, it is likely that we will see more of this duo together.

One final question: Are Gus' prophetic dreams a sign that he has some ability to see the future?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Tooth, Vol. 1.