Elke's Reviews > Candles Burning

Candles Burning by Tabitha King

Jun 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: novels, ghosts, review, sold, womens
Read from June 09 to 27, 2011

I read some of Tabitha King's novels as a teenager and really enjoyed them. This novel is quite different from her earlier work, which is understandable considering that the manuscript was written by another author.

Reading the book was something like a rollercoaster: from great expectations at the beginning to slow motion with only a few twists and loops in between. At the beginning I was sure I'd love this story, but my enthusiam was slowed down somewhere in the middle, where the story dragged on and on without really continuing anywhere. There are books where this concept works, where I am confident to just read without reaching a determined destination or climax, but for me it didn't work out with Candles Burning. The first pages built up a good suspense, but then it simply evaporates over the middle part instead of leading to a satisfying end. The story could never quite catch up its pace again and left me only half satisfied (for finding out what really happened and why), and half relieved (to have it finished).

I am not familiar with books by Michael McDowell, so I can't compare this book to his other work. As for Tabitha King, I prefer her early novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Candles Burning.

07/22/2016 marked as: read