Abigail's Reviews > Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

Feb 01, 13

bookshelves: audio-book, dystopias, humour, urban-fantasy
Read from January 19, 2010 to January 21, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I got this book when it first came out and I never got around to finishing it for one reason or another. And now, almost exactly 2 years later, I'm done. lol

I'm not sure I can put into words how much I enjoyed this book so I'm sorry if my review is a bit lacking.

However, I got the audio book of it and spent most of January listening. The narrator of it is fantastic and had just the right voice to pull off the absurdity that is required for Jasper Fforde. When I first started listening to it, it was 6:45 in the morning and I was half asleep at work. For a moment I thought I had the wrong audio book and that I was listening to "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." And it stayed that good. I really enjoyed it.

I honestly, wish I could say more but I'm not sure what else to say other than go out and read or listen to this book now. If you like British humour and absurdity, then this is the book for you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Grey.

Quotes Abigail Liked

Jasper Fforde
“The youthful stationmaster wore a Blue Spot on his uniform and remonstrated with the driver that the train was a minute late, and that he would have to file a report.

The driver retorted that since there could be no material differene between a train that arrived at a station and a station that arrived at a train, it was equally the staionmaster's fault.

The stationmaster replied that he could not be blamed, because he had no control over the speed of the station; to which the engine driver replied that the stationmaster could control its placement, and that if it were only a thousand yards closer to Vermillion, the problem would be solved.

To this the stationmaster replied that if the driver didn't accept the lateness as his fault, he would move the station a thousand yards farther from Vermillion and make him not just late, but demeritably overdue.”
Jasper Fforde, Shades of Grey

Jasper Fforde
“Okay, this is the wisdom. First, time spent on reconnaissanse is never wasted. Second, almost anything can be improved with the addition of bacon. And finally, there is no problem on Earth that can't be ameliorated by a hot bath and a cup of tea.”
Jasper Fforde, Shades of Grey