Heather's Reviews > The Forgotten Garden

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

Oct 24, 12

bookshelves: book-club-2012-reading-list
Read from January 23 to March 03, 2012

This is a really long book...I had a hard time getting into it at first. The beginning was a little confusing for me, the way it jumped around. But I am glad I stuck with it. The stories began to weave together and suck me in. I am impressed with all the detail that Kate Morton wrote into this book. She must have had a huge storyboard showing all the story lines and intersections. I honestly had to flip back sometimes to review a detail or clue. Don't pick up this book unless you have the time to devote to it! I liked how the chapters jumped from different time periods and eventually how Cassandra ended up piecing them all together to solve the mystery. The 3 fairy stories by Eliza that are inserted (1 in each section) are a magical addition that add to the solution as well. I went back and read them again after finishing the book, and they held a lot more meaning after I knew the whole story.

(view spoiler)

Kate Morton's writing is excellent. She describes things beautifully in unexpected ways. The writing really takes you away to another time and place. I think it would have been really cool to incorporate some of "Nathaniel's" sketches along with the fairy tales, since they were such an important part of the story. I really liked Cassandra's character, and how she was able to move on...letting go of the ghosts of her past that were holding her captive and learning to love again. It is a wonderful story of redemption spread across four generations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Garden.