Katie's Reviews > Nightfall

Jun 20, 2011

bookshelves: alpha-type-hero, paranormal, soldier-type-hero
Read on June 19, 2011

4 1/2 stars...

I am not sure where the band wagon for Nightfall began but I picked it up because I saw it appear on several of my GR friends to-read shelves. I followed the the group on this one and not for the first time this year I was pleasantly surprised.

Within the first few pages of Nightfall Jenna was abducted by scary muscle man Mason. Mason owes Jenna's late father a life debt which he intends to repay by keeping Jenna alive. The world as we know it has changed. Technology is gone, anything that requires the use of computer chips has been rendered useless and the world has given a new meaning to the term "survival of the fittest". Rabid dog like beasts are now roaming the country desperate for food and humans sure are tasty. When 5 strangers stumble upon Mason and Jenna in their secluded cabin Jenna offers them safety and shelter against Mason's orders.

Nightfall was a dystopian post-apocalyptic story of strangers who in the direst of circumstances find themselves having to trust one another. Most of these characters weren't given the opportunities in normal times to have someone to depend on and trust. So when the world as they knew it comes to a cataclysmic end and they are forced to work together to keep each other alive, each person has to work through their own individual struggles to survive. I loved all of these characters. Focusing on Jenna and Mason there were times throughout this action packed story that I couldn't help but picture these two as real people. The authors did an excellent job of bringing all these characters to life.

Non-stop action, blood, guts, great characters, alpha male, kick ass heroine with some romance thrown in, Nightfall was just shy of perfect for my reading tastes. I would have liked a bit more romance thrown in, but that is just personal preference and takes nothing away from the author's abilities to write an excellent book. I also thought the Epilogue left something to be desired but that's what sequels are for.

Overall I would categorize Nightfall with books like The Hunger Games, only for adults. I feel a reader who enjoyed The Hunger Games would enjoy this as well. This book makes me want to join a gym. If the time comes I have to outrun crazy man-dog-beasts I don't want to be out of shape! Kudos to the ladies who make up the author Ellen Connor I am anxiously awaiting your next book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightfall.

Tracy Haha. I knew you wouldn't hold out long before reading this one. I'm loving it. Let me know what you think.

Katie I am about halfway through, I'm loving it too. No romance yet. But there is totally enough action that I'm not missing it at all.