Joan Reeves's Reviews > Moon Dance

Moon Dance by J.R. Rain

Jun 16, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal, mystery-thriller, joan-s-keeper-shelf
Recommended for: anyone who likes well-drawn characters, taut pacing, and good story line
Read from May 10 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire #1) by J. R. Rain is excellent.

What I admire most about this book is how it presents a different view of a vampire. This book is about a woman trying to live a normal life in abnormal circumstances. Samantha was a successful career woman and a wife and a mother. Devoted to her children, she's trying to live as if nothing has changed when, in fact, everything has changed. She's different. Her marriage is over, and her custody of her children is threatened.

In other words, Samantha is alone and fighting to maintain a tenuous link to her humanity. Taking on a new client begins a chain of events that lead her to discoveries about the world and about herself. What she discovers forces her to face unpalatable truths and to make compromises with her lot in life.

The pacing and characterization are terrific. Samantha Moon is one of the best-drawn characters I've read in a long time. My only quibble with the story is the romantic subplot and with the proffered resolution. In my romance writer's opinion, it simply didn't ring true. However, that's a minor point because this is not a romance novel. Take away the vampire, and you've got a solid PI mystery. Take away the PI mystery, and you have a solid vampire story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Dance.