Jess's Reviews > The Bone Doll's Twin

The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling

Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, gender-bender, heroine-pov
Read from June 16 to 18, 2011

It’s a simple enough premise:

The land Skala has been protected by centuries due to a prophecy stating that as long as the country has a Queen, they’re gravy. Of course this doesn’t sit well with possible Kings, so we get Ol’ King Erius knocking out the female competition to ensure he stays in charge. When his sister has twins, the only way to protect the female and ensure Skala is once again ruled by a Queen again is to affix the girl child with the body of her dead twin brother’s so no one knows her true gender...

Wait, did I say simple? Ahahahahaa!

Honestly I’m a big fan of books with gender bender type shenanigans, which is why I picked this one up. It was actually very good! I went into the book not really knowing what I was getting myself into, but I was very engaged whilst reading.

There isn’t anything too crazy going on in the book besides what I stated above. No massive fight scenes, no raging wars (well that are written in description in any case). But still I felt gripped by the story and earnestly turned pages (or pressed next… kindle!). I’m looking forward to the rest of the series and seeing our leading man woman take her rightful place and King Queen.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone Doll's Twin.

06/16/2011
11.0% "Decided to intersperse my next few readings by switching between series. Started this one, then I’ll finish up Jacky’s, then I’ll read the second of this series and start another one too.
So far this one is pretty interesting, I’ve only just begun it but it’s definitely very engaging."
06/17/2011
52.0% "so my husband tells me these updates are showing up on facebook. Just so everyone knows, no, we are not allowed to use facebook and it looks like it'll be like that till we pull into home port. As to the book itself, it's very good :)"
show 1 hidden update…