Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)'s Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

It's hard to know where to start with this book. Insurgent has been anticipated for months by fans of Divergent, myself included, and so it had a lot to live up to. I am very pleased to say that it more than lived up to expectations and I'd go as far as saying that it was better than Divergent! Hard to believe for a lot of you, right?

I thought that Divergent was great, but Insurgent was spectacular. Roth has already introduced us to her dystopian society and bold characters and in Insurgent, we get to learn a lot more about both. There are a whole load of twists, turns and revelations in Insurgent and you'll probably find yourself changing your opinions on factions and people every few pages - nothing that is happen is simple - it's all very dramatic. This is real edge of your seat reading and it most probably will keep you awake at night, as it's so very compelling!

I felt like I got to know the characters a lot better in this book. I felt as though I grew closer to Tris and understood her more, and although I did find her to be a little silly in her actions at points, she is an incredible heroine. Tris isn't completely strong or brave though, as she is still haunted and uneasy from witnessing so many deaths. As expected, Tris is still battling with herself and her Divergent categorisation. Her vulnerability let me into her mindset and let me like her more. I certainly formed more of a fondness towards Tobias (Four) in this book, too (and by that, I mean that I now wish he could be my boyfriend). Following on from Divergent, Tris and Tobias's relationship has developed well and I really, really loved the bond that they have - oh, plus there were some very romantic scenes that were just... swoon-worthy.

As aforementioned, my opinions of most of the characters changed a lot throughout. I was so pleased that we were given more information about the factions (especially Amity, who we didn't hear much about in Divergent). The story and characters are surprisingly complex. Roth makes all of her characters seem real and interact in a very authentic way. It did feel as though I knew the people that I was reading about and I was willing them on to make the right decisions. I actually gasped in disbelief at some things. I could see where the book was heading, but I definitely wouldn't call it predictable - there were quite a few moments when I gasped in disbelief! There is just so much that happens and nearly everything that is mentioned is purposeful and contributes to the story.

If you want a nice relaxing read, this isn't it - It's a bit of a roller coaster to say the least - it'll have you laughing at some parts and worrying at others. However, if you want a grabbing, engrossing and addictive read, this is it. There is a major cliffhanger at the end of Insurgent and I actually can not wait to see what happens in the next instalment - it sounds like it's going to be phenomenal. I really can't get enough of this series and urge you to all go out, buy this book and get reading now! This series really does feel like it could be the next best thing to The Hunger Games.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

Quotes Stephanie Liked

Veronica Roth
“We both have war inside us. Sometimes it keeps us alive. Sometimes it threatens to destroy us.”

Veronica Roth
“And sometimes, if you want the truth, you have to demand it.”

Veronica Roth
“Cruelty does not make a person dishonest, the same way bravery does not make a person kind.”

Veronica Roth
“The truth has a way of changing people's plans.”

Veronica Roth
“No matter how long you train someone to be brave, you never know if they are or not until something real happens.”

04/07/2012 page 1
0.19% "It's so exciting to have a copy of this in my hands!" 1 comment
04/07/2012 page 144
27.43% "I don't want to put this down, but unfortunately I've got to sleep! #INSURGENTUK" 1 comment
04/10/2012 page 357
68.0% "OH MY GOD. WHAT!?" 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Jessica OMG SO JEALOUS!! I cannot wait to read your review when you finish - I am dying to read this one!!

Souhaila OHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY GOOOOOOOOOD <3<3<3 u soo luckyy ; happy reading ^ ^

Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page) It's SOOOO good! Maybe even better than Divergent!

Juhina OMG YES PLEASE, I have such unbelievable expectations, I'm crossing every crossable joint in my body that it will be better than divergent!

Sarai I'm excited!

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Okay, I'm excited to read this now!