James's Reviews > Magician

Magician by Raymond E. Feist

Jul 14, 11

This book blew me away.

It is the perfect example of my belief that there is a time and place for all things in this life, and that includes books. For over three years now I have refused to read this book upon the principle that I did not like the idea of two merging worlds, and the misguided understanding of the word 'alien' in the blurb. However, picking this book up recently I have stumbled across a great piece of literature that reminds me of the quality that books can be - I have become too content with substandard books lately, and this was a welcome reminder of that fact.

At first the book was verging on being one the of the greatest books that I have ever read, however there were areas of the book that I felt let it all down and brought the rating down a star. A perfect example of this would be the middle section, where - while I understand the necessity for the whole tale - we learnt little of the two main protagonists and then, when we were reunited with them, they had become completely different people; which, while I understand, was disturbing as we had spent three hundred pages odd getting to know them, and to have that history almost wiped felt hollow.

Apart from that though this book easily stands head and shoulders and even waist above most other books, and it is only the previous points and other supremely minor points that stop it from being the best book I have read in a long time. The characters were brilliant and well formed, the plot intricate, well developed and fascinating and the world building and action scenes captivating.

This is, was, will continue to be one of the greats in fantasy fiction and something that I will without a doubt read again. I look forward to the rest of the tales of the realm and its inhabitants and urge any of you out there not to make the mistake that I made; read this book now. Do not wait. Read it. Now.

Have fun reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magician.