Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Jul 01, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks, zombies-zombies-everywhere, reviewed-in-2011
Recommended to Maja (The Nocturnal Library) by: --- 365andMe ---
Recommended for: Members of the Undead club
Read from June 28 to July 01, 2011

This will be a short review and it will mostly be about my (imaginary) relationship with Alan Alda and my creepy stalker habits. I apologize in advance.

I've always wanted to marry Alan Alda. Not because I find him particularly attractive, but because I enjoy hearing him speak. The way I see it, if I was married to him, I’d be allowed to wake him up at all hours and make him read to me in that sweet, nasal voice and with that subtle but charming accent. Ok, so maybe my view of love and marriage isn’t the healthiest one around, but a girl can dream, right? Since I obviously won't be marrying him any time soon, buying this audiobook was the next best thing.
That happens to me sometimes. I fall in love with people’s voices and/or accents and I lose all sense of shame. Once I’d even followed some Romanian tourists around all afternoon just to hear them speak. (view spoiler)
So imagine my surprise and delight when I recognized Alan Alda as one of the narrators of World War Z. Max Brook himself was also a cast member. It’s no wonder I was thrilled with this audiobook!

World War Z is basically a collection of stories told by the survivors. The main character, also named Max Brooks, recorded their testimonies and shared them with the world. Every single story (and there are maybe 15) is very interesting, some more emotional than others.
Here’s another confession: every bone in my body is completely apolitical and there’s plenty of politics in World War Z. I didn’t care about that part too much, but I’m sure some of you will appreciate it more. Personally, I preferred the stories about survival that had nothing to do with politics, like the story of a female US army pilot (who may or may not be hearing voices) trying to survive in the swamps of South Louisiana.

I recommend this (audio)book to every one of my zombie loving friends, as well as those of you who aren't yet convinced. Maybe Max Brooks will be the one to change your mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.

06/29/2011
50.0% "This is the best audio ever! The book - not so much."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This one was AWESOME on audio! I think you'll enjoy it too.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, thanks for telling me. I'll make sure to buy the audio then.

How could I not like a zombie book?! :D

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

My memory sucks, but I think this was my very first zombie book. I remember my MP3 breaking in the middle and I about died...lol. Luckily my son fixed it, but I was about to scream because I was right at a good part.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, it's going up up up on my tbr. LOL.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Maja wrote: "Oh, it's going up up up on my tbr. LOL.

I think it's going to become even more popular now that they're making a movie with Brad Pitt. :D"

I saw that! When I was listening to the book, I thought that it should be a movie. If it's done right, it will be a good one.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, let's hope so. I'll download this next week. :)

Wendy Darling Hey, I just downloaded this! A couple of my friends raved about it.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Want me to wait for you? I've heard great things about it too.

Wendy Darling Oh no, you go ahead. :) I just got Aftertime from the library so that will probably be the next zombie book I read. I will be waiting for your review, though!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I'll probably finish the audio tomorrow on my way to work.

Ooooh, I can't wait to hear your oppinion. I still have scars from reading Aftertime. I'm very aware that it's a great book, I just couldn't see past the filth.

Wendy Darling I'm going into it with no expectations. A. We've already read the best zombie books that exist. B. I was not a fan of the author's other book BANISHED. I'm just reading this out of curiosity.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) This is very different. Almost like a documentary. I've already listened to about 20% and I love it. Plus, the audiobook is great because it doesn't have a single narrator but a full cast.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

The full cast was cool! I found myself glued to my MP3.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Exactly! This is now my favorite audio! I hadn't read the names of all the narrators, but I recognized Alan Alda after only a few words. (view spoiler)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL - I love him too!

message 16: by Wendy Darling (last edited Jul 01, 2011 10:01AM) (new) - added it

Wendy Darling Once I’d even followed some Romanian tourists around all afternoon just to hear them speak.

This is so something I would do. (view spoiler) Voice, interesting face, etc, etc...

This sounds promising! Aside from the politics, of course. I hate politics, ugh.

message 17: by Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (last edited Jul 01, 2011 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) LOL, I guess it never dawned on me that my behavior wasn't appropriate. Until it was too late, that is. :)

You hate politics, too?!? My sister used to work on a political talk show... if anyone other than her told me some of those stories, I'd never believe them.

Wendy Darling I grew up in the DC area and lived there for most of my life. Not a fan...and in the end a lot of it is BS anyway.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Now imagine a small country that was destroyed in the war?
I bought a hardcover copy of The Tiger's Wife today just to see what got my girl Dinjolina so upset. It's not easy when someone writes about your country - especially when it's neither true nor fair. Apparently this author did it to both our countries. I'm curious...

Wendy Darling I downloaded Tiger's Wife, too. I don't know if I'll get around to it anytime soon, but I'm curious.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker I kept going back and forth about the audiobook of this book. I put it in my wishlist but never downloaded it. Don't know why, you would think I owned all zombie books. I then reread your review & that is what sold me. I plan on starting this one next!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) It's a good one. I loved the full cast for a change. :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Maja wrote: "It's a good one. I loved the full cast for a change. :)"

I like "performances" of books. I haven't heard many but I like them.

Bonnie I'm reading (listening to) this on audiobook! I agree with you on the political aspects. Blegh. *skip* :)

message 27: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Your Alan Alda voice love so made me laugh...I feel this way about a Dateline NBC guy...he is really old, but I love his voice haha (his name is Keith Morrison).

Elizabeth Norris Just started the audiobook!