Anzu The Great Destroyer's Reviews > Shadowfever

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

Aug 17, 12

bookshelves: ball-busting-chicks, zomg-i-must-have-him, paranormal-fix, the-fantasy-of-urbans, dat-cover-goddammit, i-am-stalking-you, a-bit-of-mush, must-reads, dark-so-dark, buddy-or-group-read, reviewed-2012, fae
Recommended to Anzu by: Aly is so frigging bored
Recommended for: all the pink bunnies out there
Read from July 28 to August 02, 2012, read count: 2

She warms his frost. He cools her fever.

That’s me every time I read the Fever series. Every. Fucking. Time.

Since I got used to giving you a song for each book, I guess I can do another one for Shadowfever as well. What comes in my mind that is perfect for describing Shadowfever is Porcupine Tree’s Sleep Together . I think my reasons are obvious. To the absolute joy of the female gender, Mac and Barrons couldn’t keep their hands off one another in this book. Get a room you guys!

The first time I’ve read Shadowfever, I thought it was the end of the series. I was expecting a shitload of answers and a decent conclusion to the series. Then something awesome and terrifying happened. Karen Marie Moning announced two more books. TWO BOOKS!

I mean. What? My world just fell off its axis. I am so happy and yet I’m so scared. What if they are worse than the other Fever books? What if Mac and Barrons’ romance gets shitty? What if the story goes to hell? So many what-ifs. Too many. I’m anxiously waiting and biting my nails while at it. Dani’s Iced is going to be out on October 30th, 2012. Patiently waiting. Or at least I’m trying to.

Back to Shadowfever. It’s been a while since I stressed myself as much as I did with this book. I had so many questions, so many theories. And they went to hell in a handcart with every chapter. Karen Marie Moning shamelessly played with my mind all along and I could not beat her until, say, 75% along the way. Very frustrating, but in the best of way. At least I was entertained. And shame on me, I forgot most of the stuff that happened. When I was reading Shadowfever for the second time, I couldn’t remember much. Except for Mac and Barrons’ hot scenes. Oh, brain, you have such a way of selecting relevant information.

I loved how the story evolved. Now that the future two Fever books are set in stone, I’m not so bothered by the ending anymore. At least I’m hoping that my questions will be answered.

Mac was great, even though she became a bit too suicidal for my taste. Yes, I do see her “fuck you I’m badass” attitude as suicidal. She had a death wish, that’s for sure.

Barrons was an ass 80% of the time and pissed me off constantly. He did make up for it at the end. Kind of. I used to have more positive feelings for him. The second time I went through the series they significantly decreased. I still admire the sonovabitch though.

V’lane. Haha. V’lane. How to put it nicely? I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO! Did you listen? No, of course you didn’t.

The Dreamy Eyed Guy (DEG) was one of my favorites. I had a suspicion that he was (view spoiler) but I wasn’t expecting him to be so – what’s the word? – pleasant. I’m curious to see if he’ll appear in the future books. I sure hope so.

Christian was also great. I hope he ends up hooking up with Dani. I really see this happening. But first, let Dani get a bit older. It’s kind of disturbing right now, when she’s so young.

Rowena got what she deserved. Ryodan was weird. Oh, and I also loved K’Vruck. And that’s about it.

Did I mention that I’m scared shitless about the upcoming Fever books?

My reviews for the other Fever books:

Darkfever (Fever #1)
Bloodfever (Fever #2)
Faefever (Fever #3)
Dreamfever (Fever #4)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowfever.

Quotes Anzu Liked

“Time heals.

No, it doesn't. At best, time is the great leveler, sweeping us all into coffins. We find ways to distract ourselves from the pain. Time is neither scalpel nor bandage. It is indifferent. Scar tissue is not a good thing. It is merely the wound's other face.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Never underestimate a well-dressed bimbo.”
tags: mac

Karen Marie Moning
“I'm not the hero, Mac. Never have been. Never will be. Let us be perfectly clear: I'm not the antihero, either, so quit waiting to discover my hidden potential. There's nothing to redeem me.”

Karen Marie Moning
“One day you do meet a man who kisses you and you can’t breathe around it and you realize you don’t need air. Oxygen is trivial. Desire makes life happen. Makes it matter. Makes everything worth it. Desire is life. Hunger to see the next sunrise or sunset. To touch the one you love. To try again.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Was that the sum total of my exsitence? I didn't get the erudition of 'I think therefore I am.'
Instead I got 'I am, therefore I want to fuck Jericho Barrons.”
tags: mac

Karen Marie Moning
“Once, long ago in her world, a sunny day in spring was her favorite, but now a sunny day in winter delights her more. It is the perfect metaphor for their love.
Sunshine on ice.
She warms his frost. He cools her fever.”
tags: love

Karen Marie Moning
“God Said: Let there be light!
I said: Say please.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I hate fate. I don’t believe in her. Unfortunately, I think the bitch believes in me.”

“He lives.
I breathe.
I want. Him. Always.
Fire to my ice. Ice to my fever.
-Mac”

Karen Marie Moning
“Dying is overrated. Human sentimentality has twisted it into the ultimate act of love. Biggest load of bullshit in the world. Dying for someone isn't the hard thing. The man that dies escapes. Plain and simple. Game over. End of pain...Try living for someone. Through it all-good, bad, thick, thin, joy, suffering. That's the hard thing.”

Karen Marie Moning
“As he fills me, I wonder if—in the same way that sex makes its own unique perfume—we don’t really “make” love. As in create, manufacture, evoke an independent element in the air around us, and if enough of us did it really well, for real, not just for the hell of it, we could change the world. Because when he’s in me, I feel the space around us changing, charging, and it seems to set off some kind of feedback loop, where the more he touches me, the more I need him to.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Everywhere I looked, I could see only shades of gray. Black and white were nothing more than lofty ideals in our minds, the standards by which we tried to judge things and map out our place in the world in relevance to them. Good and evil, in their purest form, were as intangible and forever beyond our ability to hold in our hand as any Fae illusion. We could only aim at them, aspire to them, and hope not to get so lost in the shadows that we could no longer see the light.”

Karen Marie Moning
“You can’t look at someone with your eyes and take their measure.
You have to look with the heart.”

06/20/2011
14.0% "phew" 2 comments
07/28/2012
1.0% "Dudes, hurry up. I must read!" 5 comments
07/28/2012 page 169
25.0% ""He'd written me a letter. A lovely, lovely letter! Oh, happy day!" She lost her mind. Poor Mac. But who can blame her?" 4 comments
07/29/2012 page 197
83.0% "All good things come to an end too fast." 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-22)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Aly is so frigging bored Told you :D :D :D BEST. BOOK. EVER.

message 21: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Oh God it was AMAZING!!! I'm sad it's done :/

Aly is so frigging bored Read the Highlander series

message 19: by Dija (last edited Aug 28, 2011 04:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Now that I've got the laughing under control, great review, Anzu! I really wanna know about Barrons's son's mommy too. Hopefully all these questions will be answered in the next two books in the Fever series. (I will never get tired of saying that last phrase!!! *-*)

message 18: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Is the Highlander one good Aly? God I can't believe I saw your comment only now :|
Laz my problem with V'lane started since book one, if that's what made you laugh. I hated the guy like the Devil hates ice! HA! I don't know where that came form lol
I'm a bit afraid of the coming books btw. I hope the series won't get ruined...
Still...
....
Fever #6 & #7 O.O My eyes can't get used to it yet!

message 17: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija I actually didn't hate V'lane till after the fourth book. I mostly couldn't be bothered with him since Barrons took up most of my attention when I was reading this series. When I wasn't fangirling over his dialogue, I was anxious about when he would appear again, and when he did appear I would go gaga over him, and on and on.

And is it just me, or does all of that make me sound deranged? O_o

My eyes are LOVING it. They have a field day every time they read it. :D

message 16: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer V'lane is my mortal enemy! I want to make him exist just to be able to kill him again and again :D

Well... *looks at your name*.... nah it's just a bit of stalking... Too bad he doesn't have a twitter page. Or does he???

I want covers!!!! And titles!!! But mostly covers!!! :p oh and info!!!! O.O

message 15: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija I have no idea, but probably not. But seriously, Barrons is so perfect in every sense. I'm glad he doesn't exist in real life - I don't think I could actually love him if he did. He's great for fuckin' but not for lovin'. :D

Covers, definitely. Who cares about titles anyway? Covers are everything when it comes to books. :D I would also really like an excerpt, and soon! But we'll have to wait for the release of three books starring Dani first, before we get back to Mac and Barrons. :(

message 14: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer OMG Am I seeing it right??? Do you wish to use the poor man???
But you're right. He needs a super duper girl like Mac not someone who actually wants a normal life.
I wouldn't mind having him as a friend :D He'd come to my place, have coffee with me and tell me all about who he killed and where he traveled ♥
Am I going too far?

I won't read the excerpt. I don't like torture :p Dani should be good. Will it be YA? :|

message 13: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Oh, please. It ain't using if we both enjoy it, right? :P

You would have to enjoy the pleasure of his company during the weekdays, 'cause on weekends, he's mine!!

I don't think it'll be YA, I think the whole story is supposed to take place years after Shadowfever when Dani's grown up and all.

message 12: by Aly is so frigging bored (last edited Aug 28, 2011 10:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aly is so frigging bored I hate Dani! I don't want books of her :(( :(( can it be anyone else?! pleeease?

And Anzu about your Q: they are romance not UF, i love 4 to 7 I think :D the others are ok...

message 11: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer *sighs* I want a dude friend like Barrons :( My life is boring!!!

Who else can it be Aly? There's no one else!!!!

Aly is so frigging bored Anyone! Christian, one of the fae, I DO NOT CARE! but not that idiot braaaat :((

Anzu The Great Destroyer Maybe she's all grown up. Mac was annoying in the beginning and eventually she turned out great :D

Aly is so frigging bored i even liked Mac in the beginning, annoying and all, but that child is ewww

Anzu The Great Destroyer I have faith in KMM! I'm sure she'll do a good job :D

Aly is so frigging bored I hope to god you're right :d

Anzu The Great Destroyer Me too :p

Brittany B. I love this review. It made me smile so much.

Anzu The Great Destroyer Thanks Brit, I'm glad I could make you smile ;)

KarenA Great review. I loved the series too. Mac annoyed me when I first picked up the book but then she grew up and changed. I'm really curious to see what and how KMM works on Dani. I have a feeling that Barrons' buddy... oh what's his name... the one that housed Mac's parents, is gonna have a thing for Dani.

Anzu The Great Destroyer Thank you Karen. Ryodan? I thought so too but Dani is only 14! That's my problem. My bet was on Christian (the druid guy who's turning into a prince creature). However, the age difference is still big. I'm curious if KMM will introduce Dancer in it or not. He's supposed to be close to her age.