Deborah Ideiosepius's Reviews > Seizure

Seizure by Erica Wagner

Jun 16, 11

I started this one with high hopes, I was in the mood for something a bit 'lyrical and poetic' and at first it seemed to do well on this score: Two people with good initial character development, a here and now scene, a bit of the past, slow build-up ect.

However: A failing of mine as a reader (perhaps) is that I do not like it when characters behave stupidly with no explanation. Around page 60 or so the female character starts to behave in idiotic, incomprehensibly erratic ways that seem artificial in the extreme. It jolted me out of the pleasantness of the reading experience. So I put down the book for a couple of days and then tried again. Within five or ten pages I was flicking ahead to stay within one plotline because the transitions had become annoying. For about every two or three pages you would glean a single line of text that advanced the plot, the rest was perhaps lyric and poetic but also unfortunately tedious.

I gave up around page 110 I found myself completely uninterested in the characters and their experiences. I did not care what befell them. I did not even bother to flick to the end of the book to see how it ends. There are too many books in the world to bother reading bad ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seizure.