Caitlin's Reviews > Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and Other Outlaws

Hello, Cruel World by Kate Bornstein

Mar 30, 08

bookshelves: queer
Read in March, 2008

Ok.
So I get all the hoopla about Kate Bornstein and I can respect her work and her life, but I don't agree with a lot of it. The first part of the book was just scattered and ill-prepared. Her generalizations like "all lesbian and gay people are transgendered because the transcend gender" just leave me feeling a little squicky. And I'm sure quite a few lesbians and gay men would agree with me on that.
That being said, her actual list of 101 things to do is pretty good. Most of them are just good ways to get off your ass and start doing something new. So, yay for that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hello, Cruel World.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Lisa M. Well, her conceptualization of "trans" is part of the fourth wave movement of feminism. Here, she is using trans as someone who generally transgresses traditional gender, not someone who identifies as the opposite sex. Within this definition, those who have same sex relationships are in fact transgender.

I understand what you're saying, but what Bornstein said makes sense in her world, and the world of a lot of queers.