Robin B.'s Reviews > Beowulf

Beowulf by Gareth Hinds

Jul 05, 11

This adaptation of Beowulf is confusing to say the least. A mix of colloquial and verse (yet not quite accessible to reader's at a simple level), a mix of serious drama and semi-comedic batman style onomatopoeic sound effects, and a mix of intense colour and hand drawn detail with flat planes of dull computer generated color.

The story itself follows along the lines of the traditional tale well enough except for some hitches along the way. Particularly the horrendous insertion of the twin towers into the second portion of the book. It creates an unnecessarily didactic feel to the novel and completely ruins the suspense of disbelief and mythological romanticism of the tale.

Of the three books within the novel the last is the most visually stunning. Despite being entirely in grayscale the detail and drama outshines the first two books which include distracting flat planes of color that can sometimes seem blank and out of place instead of further drawing attention to the detailed portions next to these "blank" spaces. I often found myself being captivated by these odd places like they were visual black holes. Places like the fire pit in the hall and the mountain outside the hall doors in book 1, and especially the funeral boats in the beginning of book 1. It took me at least 3 minutes to figure out they were boats being consumed by a computerized fire.

I could go on, but I'll end here. All together, this book is helpful in attracting the attention of some young boys with its graphic and protracted violence (my nephew) but removes a lot of its own likability for more serious readers by inserting unnecessary modern images, detracting from layered meaning through stereotyping and use of historically inaccurate and un-Norse representations (giant horned viking helmet and black Grendel who appears too similar to Spider-man's Venom), and being indecisive over whether to be serious and in verse or colloquial and driven by "BOOM"s, "thwok"s, and "WHACK"s.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beowulf.