Fictitious Delicious's Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Jun 21, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-by-amy
Read from June 15 to 21, 2011

(Review posted to www.fictitiousdelicious.com on 6/21/11)

A little background information first: Melina Marchetta is the author of one of my all-time favorite books, JELLICOE ROAD, which one the Printz Award for Young Adult Literature in 2009. (For more information on the Printz Award, click here.) Someday I will blog an official review for that one, but for now, let’s just say I’ve never read a book more worthy of the Printz than JELLICOE ROAD.

And then I heard she also wrote a YA fantasy title. That was the day the planets aligned and scientists found a remaining colony of dodo birds. I was in HEAVEN. And then, as happens to the best of us, that book slowly made its way up my TBR pile. Finally, FINALLY, I read it, and promptly whacked myself for taking so long to read it.

The book was EPIC. Literally. It is an epic tale of a young man named Finnikin who, along with his entire land of Lumitere, was exiled because of a curse, among other things. The story is about their fight to return home, fulfill the prophesy, and break the curse. Yes, very LOTR. Only BETTER. (Sorry, Ringers, but this is MY review!)

FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK is one of those stories that invade your thoughts and emotions, the type of book that you read instead of sleeping or bathing. The characters are crafted brilliantly, the setting is vivid (if, at many times, bleak), the pacing was perfect for the storyline, and the storyline itself was breathtaking. This has one of THE BEST love stories I’ve ever read. In fact, ALL the relationships, not just the main romantic one, were deep and real and beautiful.

However, the very thing I loved most about this book might be a reason others wouldn’t like it. There are so many layers to this book, creating a complex story that some might find daunting. But if you love books with depth, feeling, and complexity, this is a MUST READ. Fans of Melina Marchetta’s other works, as well as GRACELING, FIRE, and LOTR, will definitely fall in love with FINNIKIN.

Except they can’t have him. Because he’s mine. Sorry.

AMY

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.