Samuel's Reviews > Path of Destruction

Path of Destruction by Drew Karpyshyn

Jun 15, 11

I honestly wasn't sure that I'd like this book. I don't particularly like reading about where darkness wins or where the bad guy is really the good guy, or whatever. I don't like dwelling in darkness. That's just something about me that I just have always had. But I want to know as much about Star Wars as I can, so I read it anyway.

What to my surprise when I found a well-written, -storylined, -set up, -characterized, and absolutely amazing story unfolded in front of my eyes. It displays realistic characters, every one with their own goals and motives, every one following THE STAR WARS GALAXY PATTERNS LIKE THEY SHOULD. Sometimes, this isn't found in these books. (*cough* *cough*..."Crosscurrent" and "The Old Republic: Deceived"...*cough* *cough*) But it was stupendously entertaining. I can see Darth Bane as he searches for "truth" (if you can call it that; I prefer the Jedi's ideals...), and finds it. Mr. Karpyshyn makes a fool out of the Sith Order as it appears at the beginning because, well, it IS. The Sith Order hardly sounded like the "Sith", but rather sounded too much like the Jedi. Darth Bane obviously sees this, and conducted himself in a stupendous manner.

But another thing that I REALLY liked was the Jedi side of the story as well. It is obvious that both the Jedi and the Sith (as Darth Bane views it) win. It is unfortunate that General Hoth had to die, but sometimes, what can you do? You can't write a Star Wars novel without SOMEBODY dying. And, just like R.A. Salvatore had to do in his book "Vector Prime", sometimes, the good guys need to die. (As a note: I am not trying to say "good riddance" to Chewie, but rather saying that he killed off a main character masterfully, and for a strong story, or something like that. I don't know specifically why....) If you have a story where no good person dies or departs indefinitely, then the writer had better write it well, or it is, in simpler terms, lame. In a story, there needs to be a balance to good and bad situations. Drew Karpyshyn did this well. (That is, even though most of it talks about evil combating evil. But who cares.... :D)

Good job, though! Drew Karpyshyn, you've earned my five-star rating!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Path of Destruction.