Kristen's Reviews > A Haunted House and Other Short Stories

A Haunted House and Other Short Stories by Virginia Woolf

Jul 18, 11

bookshelves: own, short-stories-essays, fiction, favorites
Recommended to Kristen by: Not Blake, who knew all along how insanely awesome Virgina Woolf is and failed to tell me! Why would he want to keep this from me?!?!?
Read from June 26 to July 18, 2011

So fucking beautiful and dark it makes my soul ache.

My Favorites:

Solid Objects:
"his eyes lost their intensity, or rather the background of thought and experience which gives an inscrutable depth to the eyes of grown people disappeared, leaving only the clear transparent surface, expressing nothing but wonder, which the eyes of young children display."

Kew Gardens:
"and in the drone of the aeroplane the voice of the summer sky murmured its fierce soul. Yellow and black, pink and snow white, shapes of all these colours, men, women, and children were spotted for a second upon the horizon, and then, seeing the breadth of yellow that lay upon the grass, they wavered and sought shade beneath the trees, dissolving like drops of water in the yellow and green atmosphere, staining it faintly with red and blue. It seemed as if all gross and heavy bodies had sunk down in the heat motionless and lay huddled upon the ground, but their voices went wavering from them as if they were flames lolling from the thick waxen bodies of candles. Voices. Yes, voices. Wordless voices, breaking the silence suddenly with such depth of contentment, such passion of desire, or, in the voices of children, such freshness of surprise; breaking the silence? But there was no silence; all the time the motor omnibuses were turning their wheels and changing their gear; like a vast nest of Chinese boxes all of wrought steel turning ceaselessly one within another the city murmured; on the top of which the voices cried aloud and the petals of myriads of flowers flashed their colours into the air."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Haunted House and Other Short Stories.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blake (new)

Blake It's about time.

See, because this is Virginia Woolf, that statement has multiple meanings.

Kristen You're so clever.

Yet another important author I should have read long ago.

message 3: by Blake (new)

Blake Say that again, but this time don't grit your teeth. :p

message 4: by Blake (new)

Blake I hate Not Blake. His absence leaves me feeling unbalanced.