Cynthia's Reviews > The Second Messiah

The Second Messiah by Glenn Meade

Jul 26, 11

bookshelves: goodreads-first-reads
Read from June 27 to July 27, 2011

I received this title through the Goodreads First Reads program. I really wanted to love this book. It's about a Dead Sea Scroll containing references to what looks like a false messiah during the time of Christ. It's got intrigue, both political and religious. It's got manly men and gorgeous women. It's got a whole slew of people trying either to kill our hero because they think he has the scroll, arrest him because they think he's trying to sell it or aid him in his quest to translate the damned thing. In the meantime, the newly elected pope plans to open the Vatican archives and let the world see its skeletons and dirty laundry. It's time to 'fess up, right the wrongs... and let everyone in on the secrets the Church has been hiding from the public.

The actual plot is decent. Although it's nothing new, just one more in a long line of ZOMG! Earth Shattering Revelation That Will Change The Way We See Religion story, it is interesting. But the dialogue. Dear God, the dialogue is some of the worst I think I have ever read. A member of the Israeli police force says to someone "If you believe that, then you're a big dummy." Oh yeah? Well, your mother wears army boots. Another character (60s, cosmopolitan, urbane) asks "Gosh, are you for real?" When the dialogue between characters did not sound like something written by a 10 year old, it was simply stiff and unnatural.

Because of the problems I had with the dialogue, I did not have an affinity for any of the characters. They'd have all been great had they gone about their business in silence. Alas, they spoke. A lot. However, the story did deliver a good deal of action and for that, I am eternally grateful. The characters occasionally quieted down when things happened. And that made the book tolerable.

I would recommend this title for fans of Dan Brown and his contemporaries. Just be prepared to chant "La La La I Can't Hear You" when the dialogue begins.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Second Messiah.