Kristen (Peddler of Smut)'s Reviews > Surrender

Surrender by Pamela Clare

Review posted at: http://sweptawaybyromance.blogspot.com/

Definite 5+ stars!

To say I loved Surrender, by Pamela Clare, is an understatement. This is my first book by Ms. Clare and did she ever make a fan of me. I was in awe of her ability to not only write a historically detailed, riveting, and tight plot, but simultaneously sweep the reader into a world full of non-stop action, adventure, and passion. The two main characters, as well as the secondary characters, were rich with authenticity and depth. It’s impossible not to become immersed in their lives.

I fell in love with Iain’s and Annie’s characters right from the start. Their love story is beautiful, unique, and inspiring. The love, devotion, respect, and charity they have and show for each other, not to mention the sacrifices they’re willing to make, Iain especially, establishes them, in my opinion, as one of the great romance couples I’ve read to date.

Annie is a compelling and courageous character who suffers greatly after being betrayed and branded a thief by her uncle. Because she is unwilling to remain under his control, he sends her to the American frontier to become an indentured slave. After being attacked and almost raped and killed by an Abenaki Indian, she is courageously rescued by our hero Iain. And what a hero he is! Annie’s character has that perfect combination of strength, kindness, and vulnerability, which makes her an endearing and strong heroine. I absolutely love her.

Iain MacKinnon is one of those few alpha characters that redefine what it means to be a hero. Iain, with the aid of his brothers, Morgan and Connor, was forced to command a company of Rangers and fight for the British crown under false charges of murder. While on a scouting expedition, he comes across Annie being attacked by Indians. Not able to abandon her, he defies his orders, not only endangering his brothers, his men, and the mission itself, but also risking his own life to see her to safety.

Iain is an amazing character. He’s fierce, rebellious, calculating, honorable, chivalrous, tender, loving, and beyond sexy. His aching desire for that which he feels he’ll never have-a simple, safe, and happy frontier life, with a wife, numerous bairns (children), and his own land to farm- is poignant and leaves the reader eager and hopeful for Iain to one day obtain his heart’s desire.

The secondary characters are as well-rounded and engaging as the two main protagonists. I ended the story with a small amount of sympathy for the fairly villainous Lord William Wentworth. What an intriguing character he is. In fact, he was written with such multi-dimensional traits that he could become the hero in his own book if Ms. Clare so desired. I really hope she does, because I would love to see what she could do with his character.

Surrender has definitely become one of my favorite books, if not my favorite. I simply adore everything about this engaging book.

Note to author: Thank you, Pamela Clare, for providing translation to the Gaelic phrases.

47 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surrender.

07/23/2011 page 28
8.0% "I'm only a few chapters in and already the action has me sitting on the edge of my chair. I can tell this will be a good book." 7 comments
07/24/2011 page 149
42.0% "I can't even begin to express how much I love this story. What Iain is will to go through for Annie and what she was will to do for him, is staggering and breathtaking. And I swear, I want to shove those chess pieces up Wentworth's arse!"
07/24/2011 page 220
62.0% "Geez. Will these two get together already! The sexual tension is killing me. Lol. I love this story. Love it. Love it. I do hope they get together before the end, though. Another 100 pages of them not in some sort of relationship could become tiresome."
07/25/2011 page 265
75.0% "Biting nails with anticipation of what's going to happen next. To say this book is amazing is an understatement. It's had me on the edge of my seat from the start. And Ms. Clare can write some scorching smexin!"

MelissaB This book is amazing! Hope it's still going well.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I'm about half done. I'm loving this book. Incredible writing.

MelissaB The second half is wonderful too, love the ending.

Karla Are you experiencing sexual frustration?? LOL!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I was... but believe me not anymore! Lol. Ms. Clare can write erotica for sure;) This is one amazing book. I'm all nerves. Iain left to get a priest and I worry if her Uncle is going to show up without Iain being there. I wonder if William will realize his mistake. I'm not quite sure if he only lusts for her or if he's fallen for her. I'm biting my nails again with anticipation.

Celeste One of my favorites my Ms. Clare!!! Enjoy :)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) It's amazing. I know it will be one of my favorites too.

MelissaB Twilightmomoftwo wrote: "where can I get an eBook of this? B&N doesn't carry, neither does Google. Help?"

I am not sure it's available anymore as an ebook. Ms. Clare switched publishers and is in the process of getting back the rights and getting them republished as ebooks. It will be in the future though. You can get the paper version used on PBS I believe.

message 9: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Where can we get the paperback??

MelissaB You can get it used right now from various places. It will be rereleased in December by her new publisher. I like the current cover better though so I am glad I have it.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I wish I was able to buy the book for my kindle but I bought the paperback on amazon for $5. I'm glad I didn't wait to read until it's released for ebook, though. I loved this book so much that I don't mind having it in both paperback and in ebook format (when it's available). I know I'll reread this book again before the ebook is released. I thought it was that good.

MelissaB Morgan's story is told in Untamed (already out) and Connor's story is coming out in February.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Melissa, did you read and like Morgan's story? If so, was it as good as Iain's? I really want to read it. Should I buy the paperback now or wait until it's released on kindle (I think January 2012). However, find it hard to believe anything written by Ms. Clare wouldn't be worth buying right away:)

MelissaB It's really good! I like Surrender better but it's one of my fav books. Untamed was really good plus you see more Iain and Annie! I also really like Ride the Fire.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) That's all I needed to know. I'm buying both books. Thank you:)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) MelissaB wrote: "It's really good! I like Surrender better but it's one of my fav books. Untamed was really good plus you see more Iain and Annie! I also really like Ride the Fire."

I just bought Ride the Fire on amazon but I noticed it's the third book in a series. Is it okay to read it first? I'm really exited to read this one. Sounds really good.

I also bought the first book of the I-Team series (kindle) I heard they're good. Did you like them?

message 17: by MelissaB (last edited Jul 26, 2011 03:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MelissaB Kristen (kpeery1) wrote: "MelissaB wrote: "It's really good! I like Surrender better but it's one of my fav books. Untamed was really good plus you see more Iain and Annie! I also really like Ride the Fire."

I just bought ..."

Yes, it works as a stand alone easily.

I like the I-team series, the first one isn't as good as the rest but keep going. I like the historicals better because I love the colonial America setting (Last of the Mohicans is my favorite movie).

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Thank you so much for all your advice. You've help a lot!

MelissaB Great review!

MelissaB I love Iain too, he was one heck of a hero.

Karla She can do no wrong...everything she writes is pure gold. I wish that the series would continue after Defiant, but unfortunately it is not going to happen. My hope has always been that Joseph would get a book. I have heard that he has will grace quite a few pages of Defiant, so that will have to do. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I LOVE JOSEPH!!
Great review...

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I love Joseph, too. I love everything about this book.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Anything for Pamela! I don't read historicals but of course I've read this book and a few other historicals written by Pamela. And I have to admit that I'm reading a historical western right now and it's very good. BTW, great review! :)

message 26: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki Great review, Kristen - I've bumped this up my TBR as I've been in a crazy historical vibe recently. I've only ever read Pamela Clare's contemporary romantic suspense's and loved them, so looking forward to giving this series a try.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Thanks Nikki. In my opinion, this is one of the best, if not best, historical romance. I think you'll really like the book.

Quinn Kristen wrote: "Thanks Nikki. In my opinion, this is one of the best, if not best, historical romance. I think you'll really like the book."

I totally agree, Kirsten! Great review.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Thank you, Quinn.

message 30: by Melanie (last edited Feb 12, 2012 05:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melanie Awesome review Kristen! Now I really want to read this one :)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Thanks Melanie. Surrender is one of my all time favorite books. I think you'd really like this book.

message 32: by Vallsykes (new)

Vallsykes One of my fave historical movie dramas is The Last of the Mohicans (have tried to read the novel;will complete, maybe). This PC historical setting, puts me in the mind of somewhere around that era, though I know it's not the exact years. I'm going to get it to read.

message 33: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Mar 30, 2012 07:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Pamela Clare is my favorite author. No one writes historical romance like her. This book and Ride the Fire are both my all-time favorite books. I really hope you enjoy this one.

Leslie Loved this book too, Kristen!

message 35: by KatLynne (last edited Jun 30, 2012 05:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

KatLynne Great review Kristen. I fell in love with Pamela Clare a few years ago and find myself devouring everything she writes. This book along with Ride the Fire are my faves!

message 36: by Traci (new) - added it

Traci read her i team series, love that one as well

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Traci wrote: "read her i team series, love that one as well"

It's a great book! Thanks

message 38: by Gina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gina first time i read your review of this book, wanted to let you know i think it's an awesome review! i haven't read a lot of books, but this series is my number one favorite!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Thanks you so much for the kind words, Gina. You made my day. It's one of my all time favorite series too. Pamela Clare is my favorite author for historical romances.

message 40: by Gina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gina you are quite welcome! I miss this series! I am glad your review popped up, reading it made me smile huge!!!

Shannon(Romance Novel/Alpha Male Addict) Thank you Kristen! Going to read this now! Great review, as always.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) You are so welcome, Shannon. I hope you enjoy the book. :)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Amazing review Kristen, I totally agree with you <3

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Thank you so much, Blacky. Huge hugs!

Sabrina Lovely Review!!!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Thank you so much, Sabrina. :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Really great review Kristen! This trilogy is one of my all time favorite HR series!! <3

message 49: by Didi (new) - added it

Didi Fantastic review Kristen! I should check this out ;))xx

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Really great review Kristen! This trilogy is one of my all time favorite HR series!! <3"

Thank you Feifei. I love this serie. It's my favorite HR series too. Now I want to read the books again. Lol.

« previous 1