Apokripos's Reviews > Yeh shou guo

Yeh shou guo by Maurice Sendak

Jul 12, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-reads, award-winning-books, adventure, childrens-or-middle-grade-books, classics, dark-chest-of-wonders, fantasy
Recommended to Apokripos by: Saw the movie
Recommended for: Kidz at ♥!
Read on June 15, 2011 , read count: several times!

Through a Child’s Eye
(A Book Review of Maurice Sendak’s Where The Wild Things Are)

I’m glad that I recently scored a vintage 1963 edition (pictures here) of Maurice Sendak’s Where the Wild Things Are in Booksale during one of the mini Meet Ups with my Goodreads-The Filipino Group friends. I breeze through the book in a matter of minutes while waiting for them, and right there and then something just hit me. Without a doubt, it certainly earns its place as a classic storybook of Children’s Literature.

Where the Wild Things Are tells the story of the rascal Max, who dresses up in his wolf suit and causes trouble enough to make his mother order him to go to bed without supper at all. As the title alludes, the picture book shows a child’s unbound and limitless wild rumpus of an imagination exhibited when Max reaches deeper within his imagining and sees his room transformed into a forest inhabited by the Wild Things — roaring and gnashing monsters with yellow eyes, sharp teeth and horns — where he, by a mere stare, can tame and be the king of them all.

I think what endears every child who reads Sendak’s picture book is that most of them can identify with Max’s feeling of resentment, that though he had had his share of fun out of it, he eventually grows weary and lonely, permitting him later on to go back to the place where he most wants to be and appreciate the most important thing he left behind: the need to feel loved.

At home, after a tiring yet fun-filled day with friends and before hitting the sack, I’m still at it, staring mesmerized by Sendak’s impressive work of art with its muted colors and cross-hatchings, that looks like sketches, add further magic, energy and excitement to every kid who reads it they would love to be in the shoes of Max, playing with the Wild Things on their “wild rumpus” where they can howl at the moon and swing from tree to tree in bold celebration of all the wildness they possess.

I rue the fact that I stumbled upon this picture book well into my manhood, but it definitely touched something in me — the book has this uncanny ability to enchant itself to the nostalgic memory of childhood, rekindling its innermost emotions. It’s as if I’m seeing the world again through a child’s eye.

Nevertheless, this is a book worth keeping — for every reading always brings a new perspective, a nuanced view of the book’s message — which I will one day read to my future children and let them discover for themselves a world of their own creation; a world where the wild things are, where only they has the power to tame.

_________________________
Book Details: Book #24 for 2011
Published by Harper & Row, Publishers
(Hardcover, 1963 First Edition)
42 pages
Read on: June 15, 2011
My Rating: ★★★★★

[See this review on my book blog Dark Chest of Wonders and for many others.]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yeh shou guo.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-14 of 14) </span> <span class="smallText">(14 new)</span>

Apokripos Thanks for the "like", Tina! :)

message 2: by Louize (new)

Louize ...future children

You've already declared ha, children hindi child lang. H'wag kang maging koripot tulad ko.

message 3: by Apokripos (last edited Jun 16, 2011 01:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Apokripos Yes, habang bata pa dapat nang magpunla!
Kaso wala pang lupang pupunlaan.
Still, searching for lush pastures.
Waaadaaa! Nyahaha! :D

message 4: by Louize (new)

Louize jzhunagev wrote: "Yes, habang bata pa dapat nang magpunla!
Kaso wala pang lupang pupunlaan.
Still, searching for lush pastures.
Waaadaaa! Nyahaha! :D"

LOL! parang de-spray lang!!!

message 5: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Jul 12, 2011 03:35AM) (new)

Kwesi 章英狮 No hard feelings, but I find this review abusive. Haha. Clicking flag.

message 6: by Tintin (new)

Tintin I read this book from the sale bin at NBS. I agree the very simple story does remind me of my kid self. For sure generations of kids have identified with Max. And I thought the ending was sweet :)

message 7: by Monique (new)

Monique Sabi ko na may magre-react sa manhood at touched. At kung hindi talaga si Joselito, malamang si Emir yon. Hahaha!

Guys, you're getting predictable. :P

message 8: by Monique (new)

Monique Conversely, the reviews are?

Just the comments to the reviews. Haha.

K.D. Absolutely Your review is even longer than the book's narration. I just read this book. Thanks for lending it to me. Iniisip ko right now kung ano ang sasabihin ko sa review ko ha ha.

Apokripos K.D. wrote: "Your review is even longer than the book's narration. I just read this book. Thanks for lending it to me. Iniisip ko right now kung ano ang sasabihin ko sa review ko ha ha."

Oo nga, eh. Read the Wikipedia entry, mas lalo naman yung mga studies/interpretations of the book dun. Masyadong philosophizing lang, Ahaha! :D

message 11: by K.D. (new) - rated it 2 stars

K.D. Absolutely I reviewed without reading the Wiki entries (for a change). I am taking the risk of interpreting it as-is. I think I will receive hate emails because I gave it 2 stars when most of my foreigner friends grew up with it so I guess there is a memory attached to the book.

message 12: by Highflyer (new)

Highflyer LET THE WILD ROPMUS BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 13: by Keirston (new)

Keirston Gore wo thats lame?

Keira Leggett I love this book when I was a kid I was sometimes scared of it !!