Terri Pickett's Reviews > The Big Rumpus: A Mother's Tale from the Trenches

The Big Rumpus by Ayun Halliday

F_50x66
Dec 27, 11

I really loved this book and wish I'd had it about 8 years ago. Reading it then would have likely helped me to feel less alone and flustered amidst the craziness and wonder of full-time parenting. I actually felt overwhelmed when I first started reading. Now that my babies are older and I am well out of the trenches of constant exhaustion, tedium and responsibility, it was hard to go back. Much as I am thankful for those days and loved being able to be home with my babies (and not to minimize other people's experience of PTSD) re-visiting this time in my life in such exquisite detail was a little PTSD-ish for me. At least initially. Then I felt mostly nostalgic. Halliday says what she thinks and feels and doesn't censor herself to fit into the idealized and mostly rigid idea of motherhood that one finds everywhere else. This I appreciate immensely. Whether or not you agree with her parenting style, I think all moms can relate to the overwhelming love she describes for her children as well as the struggles (internal and logistical) that come with trying to do this parenting thing well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Rumpus.