Don S.'s Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Jun 15, 11

bookshelves: realistic-fiction
Read in March, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I stumbled upon this book completely by accident while roaming around the web. The brief description really intrigued me when it mentioned an 5-year-old boy named Jack who lived in a room that he never left. That was enough to get me started.

As I read, I was close to putting it down a couple of times through the first 50 pages or so. It is written from the boys perspective, which makes it sort of tough to get through with the odd phasing and thought processes.

I did not give up on the book and I’m very happy with the decision.

To put things concisely, let me just say this: If you are a parent, a teacher, a day-care-worker, if you have children of your own, grand children, or perhaps even if you ever considered having any at some point, YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK.

The story deal with, as mentioned, a five-year-old named Jack who lives with his mother (who we know only as “Ma”.) The live in an 11 foot square with all the required amenities – toilet, tub, table, sink, bed, and son on. The only window in this room is a skylight where Jack can sometimes see “God’s face” or the snow that sometimes covers it. Jack and his Ma never leave this room.

The why’s, who’s and wherefore’s constitute a story that is at time unsettling, fascinating, horrifying, enlightening, disturbing, uplifting, depressing, cute, nasty, scary, and wonderful. It offers the strange world in which it takes place in the only way that it really could have been conveyed; through the eyes and mind of a very, very unique young boy named Jack. Through Jack the reader gets some keen insight on what things are really important, what ones are really fun, and also some judgments on what is dumb and even scary.

Don’t skip this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.