Lisa Lewis's Reviews > Everlasting

Everlasting by Alyson Noel

Jun 15, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, grades-8-and-up, supernatural-fiction, young-adult
Read in June, 2011

Aylson Noel captured my attention when I read her novel Evermore, but the rest of the series was put on hold by me to do and read other things. But when one of my students told me she loved reading Radiance this year, a companion novel to The Immortal series, I decided to pick up where I left off and read the rest of the series. Beginning with Blue Moon, I reacquainted myself with Ever and Damen, the two main characters. Damen has lived for over 600 years, and he is in love with the soul that inhabits the body of Ever Bloom. Ever recently lost her entire family in a car wreck, and Damen saves her from the same fate as her family by making her drink the elixir that will make her immortal, too.

Each book in the series takes Ever on an journey through teenage angst and questions about her soul. Each book becomes increasingly darker than the ones that came before in the series. Each book had the same plot format. I would get angry with my self for reading each book since I truly was not enjoying the storylines. And yet, I kept right on reading, waiting to see if Noel would indeed have Ever and Damen finally be together in the physical aspect. Needless to say, that was predictable.

However, the last book was my least favorite in the series. I understand an author wants the reader to ride along with the characters, pulling for them, talking to the characters as though they were indeed in the room with the reader. But, I found myself questioning the author as to why on earth she choose to take Ever on such an unusual course, a course so totally out of character for the series. I guess I’ll never know.

The Immortal series is for high school readers or readers in middle school who are very mature. There are simply entirely too many references from the main characters about desiring “to be together” in the physical sense, and many “make-out” sessions.

All-in-all, I was disappointed in the series, though I was surprised with how Noel wrapped the ending up and presented it to the reader.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everlasting.