Dhfan4life's Reviews > Letters In Cardboard Boxes

Letters In Cardboard Boxes by Abby Slovin

Jun 15, 11

Read in June, 2011

Quoted directly from upcoming author Abby Slovin’s very own web site about Letters in a Cardboard Box, the story is about “Letters In Cardboard Boxes tells the story of an eccentric grandmother and her granddaughter, Parker, alongside a series of fantastical letters they exchanged throughout their lives. Their letters once traversed the East River to help Parker escape the loneliness of a childhood without her globe-trekking parents and communicate during her turbulent teenage years. Now, nearly a decade later, Parker begins to rediscover the evidence of this letter writing tradition, as well as the family’s untold stories and, unexpectedly, letters from her grandmother’s own youth that paint a very different portrait of the woman who raised her.
Letters carries us through the universally-shared experience of loss and the process of coping with life’s unexpected twists and turns. Through unusual and bold characters, the story moves some of its heavier themes with honesty and humor.” http://www.abbyslovin.com/letters-in-...( I took the above from the link at your website. I hope you don’t mind me quoting you in there. I just thought it would be a good way of sharing your thoughts over the story as well to give it that personal touch from you and not just have it be a random reviewer making commentary, you know?)
But, In my opinion this story was a very colorful coming of age story that follows the lives of 4 very touching characters: That of Parker Simpleton (protagonist), Dorothy Sultan, the loving, quirky, and often confused grandmother, Tanya the young, outspoken, but very wise teenager that Dorothy and then later Parker mentors, and lastly that of the knowledgeable, gentle, caring neighbor Jerry. These 4 characters separately bring so much to the table based on each of their personal journeys that tie back into one road that they all share. And that shared road is that of riding the highs and lows of life. Each coping in the way they can when the lows hit and riding their own highs as best they can. And watching this process unfold was truly moving to me. And made it well worth the read for me, even though I have not personally experienced what the characters have in the story, I truly value the experience of getting to know each of these characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters In Cardboard Boxes.