Cara's Reviews > Networking Awesomely

2021933
Jun 15, 11

bookshelves: business, internet-tycoon, life
Read on June 02, 2011

Decided to read this on the plane on the way to the World Domination Summit. Really bad idea!

Advice includes things like: be confident, work out and get your teeth whitened so you look great and everyone will want to hang out with you, do it just like how you acquire more friends.

Before I read this, I was really excited about meeting everyone, and I was anticipating it as a huge gathering of people who were basically just like. That was a great mindset, and the advice in this book killed it and made me feel all self-conscious. Whiten my teeth? Hell, I haven't even gotten a haircut! And how the hell do you acquire more friends???

I think it's a decent book, and I agree with the message that the point is to get to know people and form relationships with them, not to check off some box, acquire better twitter stats, or be some schmoozing sleazeball. I just read it with terrible timing.

But then again, I met one of the guys featured in the book on the train from the airport! I don't think I would have made the connection if it wasn't so fresh in my mind. That was cool.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Networking Awesomely.