Becky's Reviews > Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: age-adult-books, biography, nonfiction
Read in December, 2011

Mindy Kaling plays Kelly on "The Office" (American version), and, OK, I really loved her book. She is a self-admitted flibbertigibbet with a lot of astute observations and some hilarious lists. She's not exactly like Kelly (as she will point out), but there are similarities in their delivery. Also, the photo on the back cover is one of the funniest ever. My very favorite chapter is "Married People Need to Step It Up."

Favorite quotes:

Alternate Titles for This Book ("The Girl with No Tattoo," "The Book That Was Never a Blog")

"A handful of bad experiences when I was small have made me a confirmed nonathlete. In psychology (okay, Twilight) they teach you about the notion of imprinting, and I think it applies here. I reverse-imprinted with athleticism. Ours is the great non-love story of my life."

"What I've noticed is that almost no one who was a big star in high school is also a big star later in life. For us overlooked kids, it's so wonderfully fair."

"Because I was largely overlooked in high school, I watched everyone like an observant weirdo, not unlike Eugene Levy's character Dr. Allan Pearl in Waiting for Guffman, who 'sat next to the class clown, and studied him.' But I did that with everyone. It has helped me so much as a writer; you have no idea."

"One friend with whom you have a lot in common is better than three with whom you struggle to find things to talk about."

"Joce is a hoarder of the cheerful, social, Christmas-lights-year-round variety."

"This was the problem of living in a post-Sarah Silverman world: lost of young women holding the scepter of inappropriateness did not know how to wield it."

Best Friend Rights and Responsibilities, p. 80

"I simply regard romantic comedies as a subgenre of sci-fi, in which the world created therein has different rules than my regular human world. Then I just lap it up. There is no difference between Ripley from Alien and any Katherine Heigl character. They're all participating in the same level of made-up awesomeness, and I enjoy every second of it."

Types of Women in Romantic Comedies Who Are Not Real, p. 99

"I tend to fight with Greg the most. My friend...believes it is because I am emotional and intuitive and Greg is more cerebral and logical. Or, as I think of it, I am a sensitive poet and Greg is a mean robot."

My Favorite Eleven Moments in Comedy, p. 134 (I really want to look up those I haven't seen)

"In my mind, the sexiest thing in the world is the feeling that you're wanted. The slightly nervous asking of your phone number. The text message asking you to dinner. The simple overture of wanting me can satisfy my ego for a good long time."

"I wanted...a guy who wasn't afraid of commitment. But let me explain! I'm not talking about commitment to romantic relationships. I'm talking about commitment to things: houses, jobs, neighborhoods. Having a job that requires a contract. Paying a mortgage. I think when men hear that women want a commitment, they think it means commitment to a romantic relationship, but that's not it. It's a commitment to not floating around anymore. I want a guy who is entrenched in his own life. Entrenched is awesome."

"She realized -- as has almost everyone I know who has been left or broken up with -- that, by divorcing her, her husband relieved her of the job of eventually leaving him. As my mom has said, when one person is unhappy, it usually means two people are unhappy but that one has not come to terms with it yet. Sandy hadn't realized how unhappy she was until he was gone. She told me that her husband's leaving her was the nicest gift he ever gave her, because she would never have seen clearly enough to do it herself."

"In real life, shouldn't a wedding be an awesome party you throw with your great pal, in the presence of a bunch of your other friends? A great day, for sure, but not the beginning and certainly not the end of your friendship with a person you can't wait to talk about gardening with for the next forty years."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tamara All of these quotes made me do a head nod and an emphatic "MmmHmm." I especially like the quote about being entrenched. I will now have to read this and promptly copy all of the quotes that you have painstakingly transcribed.

Becky I know!! I thought of you a lot when reading this book and when noting these quotes. I think you will love this book!