A Canadian Girl's Reviews > Article 5

F 50x66
May 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012, tor, 4-stars
Read in May, 2012

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons is an action-filled dystopian set after the U.S. as we know it is gone and the Bill of Rights replaced by the Moral Statutes. Although I thought Simmons did a good job of depicting Ember’s world, it was never explained how this version of the U.S. came about and what happened to make people so willing to accept the terrible conditions of their lived reality. This question bothered me the entire time I was reading Article 5 so it’s a good thing the novel is full of action that distracts you from thinking about its iffy worldbuilding.

I thought the characterization was much more developed; and I liked both Ember and Chase. Even though Ember was sort of naïve and made stupid choices (e.g. running away from Chase when it’s obvious that he’s only trying to keep her safe and knows so much more about surviving on the run than her) which annoyed me, I liked that she had focus, adapted to situations, and wasn’t afraid to take risks. Ember's memories of Chase before he became a soldier not only allows you to realize just how deeply Chase’s betrayal has hurt her, but also lets you see later on how much his experience in the military has broken Chase. His relationship with Ember therefore was full of misunderstandings due to a lack of communication (and mistrust on her part) but did develop nicely over the course of the novel.

Recommended for fans of Marie Lu’s Legend and Veronica Roth’s Divergent!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Article 5.