Pia Veleno's Reviews > I Am Not A Serial Killer

Mar 09, 12

bookshelves: g-ya, source-paperback-or-hardcover
Recommended to Pia by: Andrew
Read from March 07 to 09, 2012

Dexter, at 15, with a paranormal twist. Interested? Stop reading here and go check out the book.

---

Overall this was an easy read, not too deep (but it is YA, so I didn't expect any mind bending twists or deep societal commentary)

I think this story lost something being narrated by a 15 year old sociopath. Without the emotional connection through the narrator (John admits he doesn't really feel much except the constant tug and pull of his darker desires trying to break free) it was difficult to get into the story. If it had been a narrator that had an emotional connection to the victims, the community, or even to himself and his own safety and life, then I, too, could be drawn deeper into the conflict. But for John, our young narrator, as he grew fascinated with figuring out the killer, and then stopping him, he didn't experience empathy for the victims, so neither did I. Instead he experienced curiosity, and then obsession, and while making for an interesting character, I never worried about his safety as he sought his answers.

Now that being said, it is a good YA read with a catchy title, an interesting if not relatable main character, and a fun demonic theme. If you like the genre, go for it, I wouldn't talk you out of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Not A Serial Killer.

03/07/2012 page 54
20.0% "So... YA version of Dexter??"
03/08/2012 page 108
40.0% "Okay, I'll change that last comment to YA Dexter with a paranormal twist."