Lisa Kay's Reviews > Chasing Fire

Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts

Smoke Jumper Pictures, Images and Photos

★★★★½ (Review of audiobook.) It is one thing to fight a forest fire and another thing all together to parachute into one; however, that is exactly what the Missoula Smoke Jumpers do. Nora Roberts has decided to write a story that follows several storylines of these select heroes and manages a murder mystery to boot. Rebecca Lowman does an excellent job of narrating this one, keeping the voice inflections varied enough for me to differentiate the multiple characters.

fireman wallpaper Pictures, Images and Photos

I enjoyed Rowan Tripp and Gulliver Curry's love story – all fifteen hours and ten minutes of it. Yep, at 472 pages, it’s what you call a “chubby chunkster”. I loved the bantering between these two, and the way Rowen, a veteran of these elite Smoke Jumpers, resisted getting involved with an experienced firefighter – now cast as a ‘rookie’ jumper. Of course, Gull, our hero, not only sets records in training camp, he overcomes Rowen’s resistance to his charms; it is inherently a romance. It was also realistically pleasant to see this kick-ass heroine be less than perfect when her father, a Smoke Jumper legend himself, finds love too.

There are several compelling characters in this fictional account of this small western Montana community, from the firefighters, to the ancillary staff, to the police detectives investigating the murder. There’s plenty of grief, and the ending is brutal; but, there are also precious moments, laughter and love. Some readers felt it had too much firefighting throughout, but I loved hearing about how these daredevils fight the “dragon”. I definitely recommend this read – or listen!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Fire.

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Nora Roberts
“Getting a room's not always enough. Sometimes you gotta close the door.”

Nora Roberts
“Alone in her shelter, she allowed herself tears. When her shelter cooled to the touch she called to Gull, “Coming out!” She eased her head out into the smoky air, looked over at Gull. She imaged they both looked like a couple of sweaty, parboiled turtles climbing out of their shells.

“Hello, gorgeous.”

She laughed. It hurt her throat, but she laughed. “Hey, handsome.”

Nora Roberts
“So we ate some smoke, so what?”

“You lost most of your eyebrows.”

Stunned, she pressed her fingers above her eyes. “Shit! Why didn’t you tell me?”

“It’s a look.”

Nora Roberts
“I want a beer. I want a giant, ice-cold bottle of beer and shower sex.”
Nora Roberts, Chasing Fire

Joann This time I'm on your heels, Lisa Kay! I'll be reading this book soon for an RRRC challenge. :)

Lisa Kay About time we had a little role-reversal, LOL! It is pretty good. A lot about putting out forest fires, but I like that. There are several characters in this book too; and I like that! :) So far, really enjoying it. Very well narrated.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Good huh? Im waiting for the library to have it come in.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Good to know..I finished The Search and really had a hard time with that one..too much "doggie" stuff for me.

Lisa Kay This one might have too much fire-fighting stuff for you.

message 6: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki Great review Lisa Kay; going to add this to my TBR, especially since I've been on a fire fighter kick lately :)

Lisa Kay Thanks, Vicki! I hope you'll enjoy it.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Im thinking III like it..nice review :)

Lisa Kay Thanks, Sandi!

message 10: by Rbeey (new)

Rbeey Oooooh niceLisaKay!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Ruby! How are you? Is the world treating you right?

message 12: by MaryK Audiobook (new)

MaryK Audiobook I'm glad you included info about the narration. Differentiating characters is very important to me.

If you listen to audiobooks regularly, you might want to check out the Romance Audiobooks group.

Lisa Kay Thanks, MaryK!

message 14: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Wonderful review Lisa Kay. I always enjoy your pictures and these are fantastic.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks for the review, LK. I'll have to check to see if this is on audio at my library!

Karla Great review Lisa Kay and amazing pics!