Odd Oddtest's Reviews > Phantom

U_50x66
Jun 15, 11

bookshelves: retelling, music
Read in June, 2011

I love Phantom of the Opera. I'm completely obsessed with it. However, unlike most of the Phantom fans I know, this book really didn't do that much for me - it's not that good - in the end, all I cared about in this story were the animals.[return][return]First, I really did enjoy it. It held my attention well enough. But I found that there was something in it that was just *missing* - I think it may be the writing itself. It's not particularly well-written. It didn't make me cry or laugh or yell.[return][return]At points in the story, it was as if the author was forcing out needless drama. I won't go into detail about this in case of spoilers, but it has to do with the elements in certain scenes that didn't necessarily need to be there, and endless quotes that seem more like cliches than anything else.[return][return]The only reason I read this book was because so many people rave over it, but I guess they just see something I don't. Writing about Erik's past is a clever idea, but the book itself doesn't live up to that idea. Nice try, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phantom.