Heidi Miller's Reviews > Damien

Damien by Jacquelyn Frank

Jul 02, 11

Read from June 15 to July 01, 2011

I found Jacquelyn Frank when I picked up her new SF Romance SEDUCE ME IN DREAMS, which led me to her other work. Since I haven't delved very deeply into paranormal romance, having read only some Laurel K. Hamilton and Kelly Armstrong, I decided to give Frank's Nightwalker series a try because I loved her characters and world building in DREAMS. Not knowing where to start--I now realize I should have started with JACOB, which I'm currently reading--I picked up DAMIEN.

Damien and Syreena didn't resonate with me as much as Bronse and Ravenna or Jacob and Bella. I think Syreena's petulance wouldn't allow me to take her completely seriously--an idea I share with the character Jasmine in the book--and Damien came across as a bit snobbish. That said, I still looked forward to picking up the book each night.

The relationship is front and center, yet still integral to the plot, which is something I've seen done well in Frank's other works. I don't enjoy the head-hopping in and out of different character's POVs because even though there's usually a transitional cue, it's still a bit jarring. Just when I'm in Damien's mind, finding out more about him, there's an abrupt switch into Syreena or Jasmine's POV and vice versa. But, like I said, Frank is doing something right with her characters and world-building because I am completely sucked into the series now and enjoying the Demons better than the Vampires and Lycanthropes. I'm sure part of it has to do with the intense sensual nature of her characters and the graphic sex, but what's wrong with that?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damien.

06/17/2011 page 302