C's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Aug 04, 11

bookshelves: favorite-fiction, book-suggestions, audiobooks

(Series)
Edited, now that I'm on book 5 looking back.

I listened to Game of Thrones in audio, then went back to reread it to get everything I might have missed. These are fantastic books - not heavily fantasy, excellent storytelling and crafting of characters.

A warning - these books are violent, graphic, and brutal, if not morally difficult to read at some points. This is the kind of book that in its context of a medieval culture, the things that are going on are not terribly out of the norm. However, in our current culture and context... I had a number of moments where I thought "If I really stop to think about this, it's going to be pretty disturbing." I feel if you get through Ken Follett's books without a problem or raised brow, Martin won't totally tip your boat over, though it may still get rocked a bit.

Again, though, Martin has a knack for crafting memorable (if not "unforgettable") characters. So much so that raised brows, rocked boats, or lost lunches are forgivable. I get the same vibe of affectionate hatred towards Martin from fans that folks have towards Joss Whedon. Folks gripe "he kills off everyone you like!" It sure seems that way, but luckily, just like life, others come to fill in the holes and gaps and flesh the story back out. Don't despair...when one person loses the Game of Thrones, another rises to take their place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.