Ann's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Mar 13, 2008

it was ok
Recommended to Ann by: a friend
Read in February, 2008

Let me begin by saying I have been an organ donor – to my cousin who had leukemia. I donated stem cells – though I did not undergo a bone marrow operation. My cells were “harvested” by aphaeresis – a relatively painless process of drawing blood from one arm, extracting the useable cells and then putting the blood back in my other arm. So, I am not unfamiliar with organ donation.

That being said, I enjoyed reading My Sister’s Keeper until the ending. In my opinion, the book should have ended at page 412 with the line “I’d like to be Kate’s sister.” The book, however, continues until page 423 and that’s one of the reasons for my low rating.

The book did keep my interest. I stayed up late because I wanted to know “what happens next”. The style of changing voice with each chapter was a bit annoying (I always wanted to know about Anna) but I got used to it. The “love interest” between the lawyer and the guardian ad litem seemed a bit far-fetched but I’d be willing to bet that it was put into the story on the advice of the publisher to add a little “spice” to the story.

The story reminded me of both Family Pictures by Sue Miller as well as Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I admit that a person never really knows what they will do in any given situation until they are personally faced with it, but all these books point to moral and ethical questions that should be discussed.

Would I recommend this book to a friend? I’d have to say “Yes, but …”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.

Jennie this book is absolutly amazing! its soo touching and amazingly written!

Abby you havent even finished it!

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ann Of course I finished it! That's why I was so disappointed. The ending's a cop-out to political correctness.

Abby no i was talking to jennie, not you.

Abby i also think the ending was extremely coincidental...i don't want to give anything away though.