Derek's Reviews > The Hunger Games

5420722
Mar 14, 2012

bookshelves: sf, post-apocalyptic
Read from March 12 to 14, 2012

I really didn't want to like this book. "Oh, another Harry Potter... another Twilight". The latest must-read. Ho hum. Of course, sometimes books really are must-reads. And now, I must read book 2...

(but you still can't make me read Twilight!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

03/14/2012 page 311
02/06/2016 marked as: read

Cecily I take it that you've resisted the temptation to succumb to book 2 (or did you just not want to sully your virtual shelves)? ;)

Derek I haven't so much resisted, as failed to ever get book two off the bottom of my to-read list. I guess it's gone from "must" read to "may" read.

Cecily Life's too short to waste it on bad books. ;)

message 4: by Derek (last edited Apr 13, 2013 04:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Derek I certainly agree with that - but I didn't find this to be a bad book. I probably rated it higher than it deserved because I found it a better book than I expected, but I definitely enjoyed it.

Cecily Well, yes, "bad" is a bit strong for this (and I'm very much not the target market), but nevertheless, life is too short to waste on books one doesn't really enjoy.

S.C. Flynn Iwas also suspicious of this bt liked it. And no, I have not succumbed to reading Twlight.

Jason I felt the exact same way as you, that this book was FAR better than I expected. Expectations aside, I think it is a very good version of its kind of book. I don't know if you've ever bothered with the sequels, but unlike Harry Potter, the quality control on this series is abysmal. The second is highly mediocre, and the third is borderline unreadable. If you haven't read them yet, I'd say don't bother.

Derek No. Pretty much, Cecily talked me out of going any further, and then everybody else backed up that decision :-)

Cecily Now I feel guilty. Had you given this 4* when I made my comments before? If it really was 4* for you, I wouldn't be so hesitant about reading the rest of them.

Derek Well, as I said to you earlier, it was probably an extra star for totally exceeding expectations ;-) But the euphoria of exceeded expectations didn't last long enough for me to actually get to book 2...

message 11: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Reed But I love Twilight.

Derek That's very nice, Lori, but I'm still not reading it ;-)