Hydra Star's Reviews > Shades of Green

Shades of Green by Ian Woodhead

Apr 02, 12

I read and review self-published works fairly frequently and because I am a writer myself I know how difficult it is to by one’s self fully polish a piece and prepare it for publication, especially with limited resources (i.e. the money to pay a professional editor). So, I tend to be more forgiving of editing issues when it comes to books published by their authors and rarely mention such errors in my reviews. However, in this case I feel I must warn future readers that there are quite a few small errors and awkward sentences throughout this volume.

To be completely fair, some of the “awkwardness” might be due to the fact that the story is written in large part in the working class British lingo and slang of its characters. All the same these, to my mind, awkward sounding lines and their accompaniment by numerous typos and grammatical errors made the story a bit difficult for me to “get into”. Instead of relaxing into the story, my brain went into proof-reading mode and I found myself pausing every few lines to make mental corrections. I would strongly suggest that Mr. Woodhead hire or otherwise engage a good proof-reader prior to self-publishing any future works.

With that harshness aside this is a wonderfully weird story. There is quite a bit of shifting from dream state to reality and bits of reality that seem like nightmares. Some readers might think this a little disjointed, but I personally felt this method and style really worked quite well for this story and set a compelling tone and mood; a tone that is continued until the very end. There aren’t a lot of hard answers given as to just what it is that befalls the town of Holburn or exactly what it is that lays beneath the town and turns its residence and even the animal population into monsters. We are instead given enough eyewitness accounts concerning the happenings leading up to the outbreak to draw some conclusions for ourselves, though it is strongly suggested that the events are demonic in nature.

There is also room left open at the end for a second book... Will this happen? Will we get more details about the tunnels beneath Holburn? I don’t know, but I’d be ready and willing to give Holburn another visit if or when Mr. Woodhead decides to organize a return trip.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Green.