Rebecca A. Rogers's Reviews > Ashes

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

Sep 06, 11

bookshelves: arc, for-review, dystopian-post-apocalyptic, horror, zombies
Read from August 15 to 22, 2011

Me before reading this book = :D :D Yaaay!

Me after reading this book = O_O

**ARC Courtesy of Netgalley

3.5/5 stars

Ashes was a great post-apocalyptic/zombie novel. The first half of the book we’re introduced to Alex, Ellie and Tom. Alex suffers from a brain tumor and wanted to escape to the woods for the weekend when the EMP hits—which kills you, does absolutely nothing to you, gives you heightened senses, or leaves you as a flesh-and-gut-eating zombie. I have to say the first half of the book with these characters was heart-pounding, non-stop action. I couldn’t turn the page quick enough.

The second half of this book is a different story.

Throughout the first half I was mentally saying, Yes! Yes! FINALLY another strong female heroine. But guess what? She makes stupid decisions in the second half. I was beginning to think the brain tumor returned and was impairing her judgment. Oh, and by the way… (view spoiler) I was more perturbed with Alex during the last 200 pages. She kept telling herself (in the narrative) that she was going to find a way out of Rule (the new town she lives in), and that she’d cozy up to these people so they’d trust her and let her leave to find Ellie and Tom. Then she dons a second love interest and there’s a totally new cast of characters; so many, in fact, I was confused as to all the new name drops.

Had this book stayed continuous with the first part, I wouldn’t have hesitated on rating it five stars. Due to the switch up, though, and the fact that Alex never bothered with finding Tom and Ellie (and pretty much forgot about them!), I had to think twice about what I’d rate this. Overall, the book is well-written, with cliffhanger chapters and crazy amounts of action. Also, the ending had me hyperventilating. I hope there isn’t too long of a wait for the next in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes.

08/16/2011 page 77
16.0% "This book is stressing me out. :/"
08/16/2011 page 103
21.0% "I'm so disturbed right now."
08/17/2011 page 191
40.0% "This book isn't helping my anxiety. :/"
08/18/2011 page 240
50.0% "Alex didn't use her gun? WHAT?! And they took Ellie? I am SO PISSED right now that I need a cig. >:("
show 2 hidden updates…