rachel's Reviews > Bridge to Terabithia

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Jun 16, 11

bookshelves: kid-lit, 2011, hated
Read from June 15 to 16, 2011

Maudlin, predictable, and full of fat jokes. There are few things that make me want to windmill-pitch a book at a wall, but that's one of them. Even the character who's supposed to be this light of compassion in the universe imagines her "cow" of a teacher at fat camp, and the disconnect of my head from this book at that point was so jarring my brain rattled.

The summer of becoming familiar with Katherine Paterson is off to a terrible start.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridge to Terabithia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zach (new)

Zach The movie's really good. Let me know what you think of the book. I enjoyed The Book Thief too.

rachel It's OK. I like The Book Thief a lot better so far. It's really surprising me - it got so much hype, but it's living up to it.

message 3: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Oh dear, fat jokes? Really?

Mariel I read Jacob Have I Loved this year. It made me wanna rethink childhood nostalgia for KP...

rachel Moira: YES. Enough that it stood out to me. Granted, being a bigger lady and being OK with that, I'm probably a little more sensitive to that kind of unnecessary cruelty anyway. (And it is so unnecessary. I can't personally comprehend looking at someone else's body and thinking "ugly". Maybe "I'm not attracted to him," but no, never ugly. That is horrendous.)

Mariel: I just picked Jacob Have I Loved for my GR book club. Meant to "like" your review which I will do...now! Whiny, bitter spinsters are sort of my thing, so I am not ruling out the possibility of liking the book.

message 6: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Wow, I just don't remember that at all! Yeah, fat jokes are terrible, and I hate them too. Granted I don't think I've reread this book in about thirty years....

rachel It takes about three minutes to read, so if you're curious to rediscover the terrible, by all means...:)