Lindsey's Reviews > The Singer of All Songs

The Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable

Sep 03, 14

bookshelves: cleanreads, reviewed
Read from August 15 to 16, 2011

The last book I bought without reading burned me, not a third-degree burn, maybe just a sunburn, but enough that I was very nervous about this one (I bought them at the same time). But it came highly recommended by a trustworthy friend, so I took the plunge.

At first the setting was wearingly (apparently "wearingly" wasn't a word, until just now) familiar: cloistered magical community, priestesses, a misfit girl that you know by instinct is the only one who can save the entire universe from the demise scheduled for next week, and the strange stranger that comes and takes her away with him. And of course she will fall in love with him. Same old, same old.

(view spoiler)

It was not breath-stoppingly deep. The story moved quickly and rushed at the end, and the characters were likable and had unique traits, but they were more oval-shaped than rounded. And I do have a complaint about Trout--the glasses. Seriously, is there some kind of law that I don't know about that dictates that nerds must have poor eyesight and an aversion to contacts? That's it! I've broken the code! Your genetic tendency to nerdity is linked directly to your vision.

I mean, I have nothing against glasses or nerds--I've worn glasses for years and only recently discovered the wondrous invention of soft contact lenses--but somehow giving Trout glasses draws modern, real-world cliche into the story.

But for all that, I did like it, and I fully intend to read the next 2 as soon as I can get my hands on them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Singer of All Songs.