Broodingferret's Reviews > The Demolished Man

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester

Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in June, 2011

This was something of an impulse buy, and I'm glad I picked it up. Not only is this one of sci-fi's classics, but it is also quite obviously the source of Straczynski's inspiration for the Psi Corp (the author's name is Alfred Bester, for Jebus' sake). The author's conception of psychology is far too Freudian (read: bat-shit crazy and wrong) for my tastes, and the whole plot hinges on said view, but given that the book was written in the 1950's, such wackiness is forgivable, plus it's presented well. There's also a slight ambiguity as to 'what' Bob Reich (the main character) is, as he's referred to as a potential threat to the stability of the world on at least two occasions. Due to the floweriness of the prose when this is mentioned, it's unclear whether he is some kind of psychic/existential threat, or merely a highly intelligent, yet morally bankrupt and financially/politically powerful man; if the former was intended, then I'm not sure I get what the author was trying to say. Anyway, it was a quick and engaging read, and I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demolished Man.