Sarah's Reviews > Life, the Universe and Everything

Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams

Jun 14, 11

I think this book would have been better for me if I actually understood cricket. The game, I mean. There were so many subtle references and jokes to cricket, I felt I was missing out on half the humor of the novel. But of course, being American puts me at a disadvantage. However, there still were some exceedingly funny parts. I loved that Arthur learned to fly simply by falling and forgetting to hit the ground. And Adams wow-ed me with the creature killed over and over by Dent who wants revenge. But my favorite part of this novel was the return of Slartibartfast. Ever since the big screen made a swipe at telling this story, I’ve thought of Slartibartfast as Bill Nighy – who is a hilarious actor. So picturing Nighy in a bistro comprised of mathematical probabilities and equations was delightful.

I know I said the plot would dissipate more, but this book proves me wrong. The random factor was still there, of course, but I’m not sure if it was toned down or if I am simply growing used to it. Nevertheless, this installment in the series had more of a plot than the previous ones.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life, the Universe and Everything.