Bryan Kim's Reviews > The Power of Eye Contact: Your Secret for Success in Business, Love, and Life

The Power of Eye Contact by Michael Ellsberg

Jun 14, 11

Read in June, 2011

This book starts out with a promising start, relaying stories about Bill Clinton's legendary eye contact, which quickly segues into the type of primordial evolutionary anaylysis of eye contact's significance that I'm always a sucker for. There's also some interesting tidbits on the minutae of effective eye contact: e.g. always look off to the side (right or left) when breaking eye contact with strangers, as looking down is a sign of submission, and we don;t want to get into the habit of submitting.

Frustratingly, the book dissolves into way too many personal anecdotes and generic, contradictory and sometimes barely relevant interviews. The chaptor on eye contact for business situations, which I was most interested in, was mostly a wash. I wanted more science, less personal anecdotes and personal interviews.

I recommend reading the first 3 chapters and putting it back on the shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Eye Contact.