Janice's Reviews > Tomato Rhapsody: A Fable of Love, Lust & Forbidden Fruit

Tomato Rhapsody by Adam Schell

Oct 22, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, love-the-title
Read from September 28 to October 21, 2011

I don't know what category to place this book. It doesn't seem to fit any mold, unless it's tomato aspic. It made me think of The Princess Bride and even Shakespear's comedies (not that I've read a lot of Shakespear).

This fable is a fun romp through Tuscany when the tomato (or love apple) was introduced to Italy. The story of the star crossed lovers is told in a lyrical poetic style and vividly brings all the characters to life while praising the virtues of the tomato. You may even find a recipe or two in there.

I chose this book for a challenge. The book was to be written by an author who shares one of your names. I hadn't heard of this book before my search led me to Adam Schell. I picked it solely because he shares my last name. Schell seems to be an unlikely name for an author so I just had to read it. I'm so glad I did! I hope he writes more in the same style. It's so refreshing to read something like this.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomato Rhapsody.

message 1: by B (new)

B whoa! sounds like a blast! nice find, Janice :)

message 2: by Judy (last edited Oct 22, 2011 03:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy I hope this is the book that gets chosen from my TBR on our next challenge, Jan. (If its you, hint, hint):)

Janice I'll see what I can do. LOL!

message 4: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue I keep seeing good things about this book, but the comparison to " the Princess Bride", well that puts a whole new spin on it. I guess I'm going to have to check this one out.