Beth Pearson's Reviews > The Forgotten

The Forgotten by Faye Kellerman

4205576
Jun 14, 11

Read in June, 2011

I picked this up as a book on tape to listen to on a recent road trip. Apparently these characters appear in other Faye Kellerman books, but I've never read any before.

It sounded like an interesting story and I enjoyed the first 1/4th. A Jewish synagogue is vandalized with lots of anti Semitic graffiti and Rina Lazarus, the unofficial caretaker, is determined to repair the damage. Her husband, the police lieutenant is also determined to do the right thing and find the criminal who did this---even if it is just a "good rich kid" from one of the influential families. Rina's son (and the Lieutenant's stepson) keeps popping in and out of the story too and we worry that his casual drug use of the past is actually hinting at something more devious. I was worried he was involved in this somehow or that something bad was going to happen to him.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to find out. The F-word got thrown in so much on tape 2, I had to quit listening. Really!? Do decent people really talk like this all the time or is this just New York editors efforts to make these books edgier? I find it offensive and very annoying.

This book was a condensed audio to 4.5 hours. Since I was already missing some of the "details" in order for it to be condensed, I wish the reader had skipped all the language. This isn't even going into my yard sale pile....I don't want someone else stumbling upon it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten.