Stephen's Reviews > Hello, I Lied

Hello, I Lied by M.E. Kerr

Sep 07, 2011

bookshelves: teen-reads, books-read-in-2011, gay-reads
Read in September, 2011

A likeable young man, a summer at the beach and a memoir of the first time he slept with a woman... No it's not Summer of '42 it's something else.

It's the story of a gay boy (with boyfriend) who has a memorable summer coming out to his friends, spending time with a reclusive former rock legend and finding out that he is capable of being sexually attracted to a young French woman.

This is a book about a young man whose unlikely summer is entirely believable and interesting to read about. In the descriptive blurb for this they mention a young man struggling with his sexuality. That's sort of misleading. Lang is gay, knows he's gay and is slowly telling his friends that he is. What's troubling him, but only a bit, is that being gay is not a black or white thing and he meets a girl that he sometimes finds sexually appealing.

A fast read at 171 pages, the story pulls you in and you meet some interesting characters without anything ever getting too angsty or too melodramatic.

I wish I'd read this immediately after seeing Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist Their sensibilities about the music industry would fit well together.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hello, I Lied.

09/06/2011 page 87
51.0% "87 pgages and 18 chapters in this is a fast summer style read, particularlt given the setting."