Laurie's Reviews > Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers

Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office by Lois P. Frankel

Jun 30, 11

Read from June 14 to 29, 2011

This book had some useful advice, although I think it was over-generalized and really meant for women working at large "corporate America" type companies. As a female who just recently started a career at a small (but very successful) family-owned business, I don't feel like all of these rules necessarily apply to my situation.
But I had larger issues with this book.

First, I found that the author seems to use men's behavior as the standard for how the workplace should function. She frequently states that women shouldn't do certain things because "you don't see men doing them" and that that there are some things we should do because that's how men behave. I understand that most large, successful companies are likely to be run by men, but she almost makes it seem like they can do no wrong and that moving up is necessarily achieved by acting like a man. I would have appreciated an approach that made me feel like I'm allowed to retain some of my "womanness."

Second, for many of the coaching tips at the end of each mistake, she references other books to read. I don't know if she was just lazy or had struck a deal with these other authors to cross-promote books, but either way I was disappointed. Supposedly she's read these other books, so I would have liked to have seen her provide a substantial summary of their content and cite them (the author has a Ph.D., so I'm sure she knows how to properly review background literature).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office.