Libby Ames's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Jun 14, 11

bookshelves: audio-book, dystopia, young-adult-fiction
Read in June, 2011

I'm not a fan of dystopia novels, but for some reason this one didn't bother me as much as some others. In The Maze Runner, most of the characters suffer from memory loss and as a reader you suffer the same confusion. The story is told in limited third person, focusing on what Thomas experiences. The story begins when Thomas wakes up in a metal box or elevator that delivers him to a society composed entirely of teenage boys. The boys in this community are working to solve a giant maze in order to be free. In the maze, they encounter hybrid machine/animals called Grievers and other dangers.

Perhaps I enjoyed this book because the focus was more on the maze and the mystery of the situation rather than the horror of a world gone wrong. Also, the audio book was well read and the subject of running the maze gave me motivation on my own runs. I'll be interested to see the continuation of the story, but I'm afraid the following books might have more of a dystopian feel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mimi Libby, have you heard about the new running app? I think it's called "Zombies! Run". You start listening to your "story". The app tells you who is chasing you and how many zombies, they'll tell you where the nearest village is and then your playlists kicks in and you run. Whenever you reach your goal/ village the story changes and you keep running. When you're done just hit pause and continue your horror story the next time you want to run.
I bet if they play Grievers moans I would sprint the whole way.

Kayla Libby -- I felt the opposite way! I felt like the focus was too much on the unknowing of what went wrong, the confusion, and unanswered questions, and that not enough was spent on the maze, and solving the puzzle. I'm not a dystopia person either...and I think this one might have turned me off for a while. I was not very impressed! I was especially annoyed by the 'non-swearing swearing' if you know what I mean.

Libby Ames It gets worse with proceeding books, so don't even bother. I enjoyed the first, but was screaming by the end of the second and wondering I had even picked up the third by the end. I didn't mind the non-swearing swearing, though. I think I need to pick some of that up myself. My rating fell drastically with each successive book.