Julie Davis's Reviews > Silas Marner

Silas Marner by George Eliot

Aug 28, 11

Read from June 12 to August 27, 2011

I remember hating this in high school English, but as I have learned lately, many books ruined by high school teachers deserve a second chance. This book was recommended by my daughter Rose as one that would be good for discussion on A Good Story is Hard to Find.

Truth be told, I brought it on a trip out of town because it was the smallest paperback I owned and it would fit in my purse. I have only had a chance to read a few pages but am fascinated by the description of England at that time and by the writing style

Quick synopsis as I recall it: aged miser Silas Marner rescues a little, golden-haired tot and finds his life changed for the better.

More later!

Interesting and well told ... but a bit difficult to read when I had little time to devote to it. I will pick this up later as I went on to a different book which I am partway through.

UPDATE
Finally picking this up again and settling in for reading it all the way through. I am surprised to find considerable, subtle humor in this book. Quite a pleasant surprise that makes me think of The Scarlet Letter when Hawthorne would do the same in his toss-off, aside comments.

FINAL
This ultimately was a quick, easy read that revealed a lot about these characters, human nature, and religion. No wonder Rose recommended it for A Good Story podcast. It made me interested in reading Middlemarch by the same author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silas Marner.

06/20/2011 page 35