Ellie 's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

May 19, 14

Read in October, 2012

Well, I definitely like the title "Divergent" better than "Insurgent." Sounds a bit like Insurance.

Wow, eight likes. Maybe people have had some bad experience with insurance....? Dunno.

TEN LIKES.....O.O O.O O.O <--- I love that face. #.# $.$ There are so many different combinations. XD

Eleven. Whoa. O.O I don't understand this. My review isn't at the top of the review page, is it?! It's very cool, though. :D Thanks, everyone....

Oh my word!!! Fourteen likes!!! o.o O.O O.O

228 DAYS (I think)

219 DAYS,
5278 HOURS,
316728 MINUTES, AND ABOUT
19003700 SECONDS UNTIL

INSURGENT, THE BOOK WITH THE WACKY TITLE.

217 days
5223 hours
313427 minutes
18805657 seconds

I don't know how I'm going to SURVIVE when/if Tris meets up with Christina and Christina FINDS OUT TRIS KILLED WILL. WAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! D'X Christina and Will were PERFECT!!! PERFECTPURFECTPAIRFECT! Ahaha, pairfect. Oh---*sobs* PAIRFECT!!!

I think I'm going to reread Divergent. I can't wait 212 more days.

211 days.

210 days, 5055 hours, 303346 minutes, and about 18200800 seconds.

HOORAY!!! DIVERGENT CAME!!! I can reread it!!!!!!! ^.^ ^.^ ^.^

I've forgotten how gripping it is. o.o It's like....wow. Wow. WOW.

Aww...Tris and Four are so cute together!!!

Hey, am I reviewing Insurgent or Divergent?! Better cut down on the Divergent snippets. Of course, properly I shouldn't even be reviewing Insurgent. I mean it's not out yet. (My main cause of dismay: books that are not out yet. Go figure?) 199 days!

189 days
4536 hours
272190 minutes, and about
16331455 seconds!

And so in agony. I'm probably the most agonized person waiting for Insurgent/Insurance. AGH. AGH, AGH, AGH.

Back to rereading Harry Potter. :/

167 days...

52...

77 now. O.O

My countdown clock is acting up. /.\

AAAH!!! ONLY 131 DAYS!!! It's a palindrome, oh yeah!

I don't like this cover as much as Divergent's, but it's still cool. I dunno, Divergent just had a little more...something...to it. It was more striking, in my opinion.

55 days, 1,330 hours, 79,851 minutes and about 4,791,064 seconds until you-know-what.

FOOOORRRRRTY TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAH I JUST FOUND OUT THE RELEASE DATE HAS BEEN BUMPED UP!!!!

Just kidding. April Fool's! :D

AAAAHH!!! AAH!!! AAH!!!!! IT'S OUT!!!!!! Only there are thirty-four-darn-holds on it at the library. I have to wait, like, for ages.... *sobs*

*UPDATE: READ*

Oh, my gosh....it was....how do I even begin to review this book?

It was, first of all, awesome. I am so thankful that Roth didn't install a love triangle. I hate those. But all of the hopes I had for Will still being alive were crushed. :(

The cover has the tree symbolizing Amity on it, and for pretty good reason. Tris, for reasons which you will have to read yourself, spends a good deal of time in the Amity headquarters (compound? complex?), and you got to know their faction better. The leadership system is quite interesting--they don't really have one. I actually think being Amity wouldn't be too bad. (view spoiler) It'd be sort of like Abnegation, but a lot less Stiffer. (Get it? STIFFer--oh never mind.) I thought that Candor actually would have been better on the cover, but Amity is okay, too.

There was one paragraph where Tris mentions that tears are just some sort of extra function that was not understood by her people. They didn't know why humans cried when they got emotional. But I remember reading somewhere in my seventh grade science book that tears are believed to (or actually do) release stress hormones or toxins from the body. That was one thing which struck me.

One of the things that actually did make me cry was the big betrayal in this book. I won't say who it was, but it did hit me like a punch in the gut. Brace yourselves.

I did think I liked Divergent a bit better. Insurgent was great, but it didn't have, for me, the addictiveness of Divergent. Perhaps it was just a bit too confusing. There were a lot of new characters to keep track of, and they were constantly moving from place to place. But Roth handled the romance pretty well. My respect for Tris grew when she didn't become the normal YA teenage girl who only thinks about her boyfriend and he takes up an unnecessary fifty pages of the book. She got mad at Tobias, but not for any irrational reasons. Actually, my respect for Tris grew a lot, period. She struggled with coping with Will's death, and with the death of her parents in the previous book, and these struggles seemed totally real to me. I could really sympathize with her. When Christina found out that Tris killed Will, her reaction was believable and understandable, and when she forgave Tris it was one of the moments that touched me the most throughout the entire book.

Peter was one character which was developed more in Insurgent. I wasn't surprised when (view spoiler) He's very interesting....I get the feeling he'll play a large role in book three. Maybe he'll sacrifice himself, or something dramatic. Or maybe he'll turn traitor, again. Either way would be awesome.

On the whole, I was very happy with Insurgent. The plot did drag a bit in the middle, but the end was great. And the big surprise was really exciting. :D Can't wait for book three!!!!!!

*edit*

The person who spoiled Allegiant for me: Curse you!!!!! Not literally. Seriously, though. I'm so mad right now.

I don't think I'll read Allegiant, sadly.... I don't want to (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

Brittney Insurgent/insurgency is an armed rebellion against a constituted authority... Sounds like Book 2 is gonna be heavy in the action, and I'm ALL for it!!!

Ellie That's great! Only I don't look forward to Christina finding out that Tris had to kill Will accidentally....or was it accidentally? I can't remember all that well.

Emma Tris killed Will out of self-defense.

Ellie Oh, thanks...still, sad. :'(

message 6: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Haha. I had fun reading this... "review." :)

Ellie Gee, thanks...? XD It's basically a place for me to vent. CAN'T. WAIT.

Klymene I'm dying just as much as you are.

Sophia An insurgency is an armed rebellion against a constituted authority (for example, an authority recognized as such by the United Nations) when those taking part in the rebellion are not recognized as belligerents....hence the weird title

Sophia courtesy of wikipedia

Klymene Aw. That means the Erudites and the Dauntlesses have won. And the Divergents will make a rebellion

message 12: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole I feel like killing Will off was un needed. Shoot the dude in the arm or leg--don't just spin around, WAIT for him to catch up and pull the trigger. :| I'm all for Christina giving Tris a beat down. >.>

Ellie Nicole wrote: "I feel like killing Will off was un needed. Shoot the dude in the arm or leg--don't just spin around, WAIT for him to catch up and pull the trigger. :| I'm all for Christina giving Tris a beat down..."

Yes! Exactly! But when I reread it I thought, "Well, maybe, since this is somewhere far in the future, Will's not really dead because they saved him in time." I'm grasping at straws. :(

Klymene It's totally possible though. Authors do it all the time. And I'm hoping just as much as you are.

Klymene And FYI, Ellie, it is on the top of the page, although I think you've already figured it out by now.

Ellie Klymene wrote: "And FYI, Ellie, it is on the top of the page, although I think you've already figured it out by now."

What is?

Klymene Your review.

Ellie Ohh. Thanks. :)

message 19: by Sune (new)

Sune Wait, you're serious? Like you were not making fun of others? I'm confused. I think I'll go lie down.

Ellie Who, me? I'm serious.

message 21: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie I just love how she's been calling untitled book 3 "Detergent" on her blog. Win.

Méadhbh Stephanie wrote: "I just love how she's been calling untitled book 3 "Detergent" on her blog. Win."

lol. i love veronica. :P

Ellie Stephanie wrote: "I just love how she's been calling untitled book 3 "Detergent" on her blog. Win."

Yeah, that's hilarious. XD At first I didn't recognize the word, because I so often HEAR it and never read it, so I'm like, "what?" and I Google "Detergent" and get:
"A water-soluble cleansing agent that combines with impurities and dirt to make them more soluble and differs from soap in not forming a..." And I'm like, "Ohh! *slaps self* Fail!"

Desiree It really does sound like insurance.. it was my first thought! But still don't care what the title is... I can't wait for may to come!

message 25: by Kimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi I CAN'T WAIT TILL IT COME OUT!!

message 26: by HєllyBєlly (new) - added it

HєllyBєlly I had to click the like button or else I could not move from this page, it was a compulsion - admit you had it "spelled" ;-)
And yeah, Insurgent sounds like Insurance. Damn.

message 27: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S When does this come out?? I know it's in May soon but what day?? Thanks for anyone ejo replies! :)

message 28: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S who* haha

Ellie S wrote: "When does this come out?? I know it's in May soon but what day?? Thanks for anyone ejo replies! :)"

Goodreads says it's May 1st. :)

message 30: by Arti (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arti MUST READ

message 31: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S Thanks Ellie! :)

Ellie S wrote: "Thanks Ellie! :)"

Welcome!

message 33: by Marchello (new) - added it

Marchello Pollard I loved reading every comment on here lol...u guys r awesome. n i cant wait for it to come out either... Epic, just saw hunger games movie n it was a little disappointing. hope they dont screw this book up in the movie

Ellie Marchello wrote: "I loved reading every comment on here lol...u guys r awesome. n i cant wait for it to come out either... Epic, just saw hunger games movie n it was a little disappointing. hope they dont screw this..."

ARRRGH YOU SAW IT????!?!?!?!?!? SOOOO jealous of you right now. -.-))) PLEASE don't tell me it was terribly disappointing!

message 35: by Marchello (new) - added it

Marchello Pollard Marchello wrote: "I loved reading every comment on here lol...u guys r awesome. n i cant wait for it to come out either... Epic, just saw hunger games movie n it was a little disappointing. hope they dont screw this..."

lol...no it wasnt TERRIBLY disappointing. Just a little, but thats what I have come to expect from books turned movies

Ellie Oh. :( Well, that's at least not TOO bad....

Ellie What disappointed you?

message 38: by Marchello (new) - added it

Marchello Pollard Well, for starters, throughout the first 30 mins of the movie, it looked like it was taped by a man with a cheeseburger in one hand, and a hand held camera in the other while jogging in place. But that doesn’t really have anything to do with how the story line compared to the book.
Even though it was 2 hours and 20 mins long it felt really RUSHED
The movie didn’t go into much detail about important things.
It was also really fast how they “pushed” peeta and katniss together (the writer never really captured how complicated their relationship truly was like it was in the book.)
Some of the stuff that REALLY stuck out to me near the end of the book (at the cornucopia) where stripped almost entirely from the movie.
I tried not to compare the movie to much to the book as I watched it but I couldn’t help myself :( I guess if I hadn’t read the book the movie would have been Great but I did. It’s like comparing Eli to Payton, solange to beyonce, Whitney Houston’s daughter to Whitney Houston. You don’t mean to compare, but you do.

message 39: by Marchello (new) - added it

Marchello Pollard Its was still a good movie :)lol, not to bash it or anything

Ellie Oh, good. Thanks for explaining! I've also heard that it was annoyingly bumpy. :/

message 41: by Marchello (new) - added it

Marchello Pollard np...let me knw what u think of it when you see it!!

Ellie I'll try to remember! :)

Bball.luver Hey, so if anyone out there is willing to tell me Tobias's last name, I'd really appreciate it! It's the one thing that's killing me (yes, I know. it's sad.) BUT if anyone out there has no problem spoiling it for me I would appreciate it :)

message 44: by Kari (new)

Kari Simms Anyone found some good FanFic for the wait?I found a good one,search Deciphering Divergent it's by this chick called Serenity READ IT!

message 45: by Kari (new)

Kari Simms Nicole wrote: "I feel like killing Will off was un needed. Shoot the dude in the arm or leg--don't just spin around, WAIT for him to catch up and pull the trigger. :| I'm all for Christina giving Tris a beat down..."

I think it added to the plot :P

Ellie Kari wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I feel like killing Will off was un needed. Shoot the dude in the arm or leg--don't just spin around, WAIT for him to catch up and pull the trigger. :| I'm all for Christina giving T..."

Really? It just seemed depressing to me. I mean, her father and mother were killed, too. Why not just stick with them?

Ellie Kari wrote: "Anyone found some good FanFic for the wait?I found a good one,search Deciphering Divergent it's by this chick called Serenity READ IT!"

:o She's good!

message 48: by leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

leah this review was really funny.......

Ellie Marchello wrote: "np...let me knw what u think of it when you see it!!"

Hi! I finally saw it, and loved it! But I thought the flame on Katniss and Peeta was really cheesy-looking, and I totally agree about the guy with the cheeseburger. :D The camerawork was reallllly bumpy....and ugh, there was something else I was going to say, but I forgot!!! D: Oh well.

Ellie leah wrote: "this review was really funny......."

XD Thanks! I really didn't intend it to be.

« previous 1 3