Wendy Darling's Reviews > Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Dec 28, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, dystopian-post-apocalyptic-utopian, read-2011, paranormal-general, cover-fraud
Read on December 20, 2011

2.5 stars I don't have violent feelings towards this book, but nor do I love it.

Review to come...maybe? Emily May's review expresses a lot of my thoughts about this one, plus the comments below and in the status updates.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

12/20/2011 page 149
44.0% "Well, so far I neither love this nor hate it. What I am most irritated with are the strike-throughs. What I am most irritated with are the strike-throughs. What I am most irritated with are the strike-throughs." 31 comments

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-50 of 99) </span> <span class="smallText">(99 new)</span>

Soumi This book is sooooo amazing, you definitely should read it

Soumi Warner or Adam?

Wendy Darling So far....neither. I don't hate either one, though.

Cait I am not enjoying this book. At all.

Wendy Darling Definitely not a Cait book, hah.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan I don't really get the hype for this one. It didn't do anything for me :(

Cait Nope, definitely not a Cait book. I just.....I just really don't understand how people like it.

Sandy Gah...I bought this one on all the great reviews. =(

Wendy Darling I'm a little surprised by the hype too, Megan. It's a tricky book and I'm not sure why this of all books got so much buzz. I wanted to read it because I saw a very early review from a friend whose taste I usually agree with, but it's been interesting to see the very strong reactions from people who have read it.

Cait, I think maybe it's just a taste thing. I don't hate this book and I found the writing irritating, but I suppose if someone likes the prose and is drawn to the idea of the story it's going to be a much better reading experience.

Wendy Darling I'll definitely come by and read your review once I've written mine, Elena. It's always interesting to compare notes on this sort of thing. And hey, we were bound to disagree sooner or later!

Maybe you'll like it, Sandy. I have a lot of friends who did...

message 11: by Sashana (new)

Sashana A friend of mine didn't like this either, she even showed be some pretty horrible quotes. But I'm shallow enough to say that I'll still read it for the cover :p. I'll just get it from my library.

Wendy Darling The cover has absolutely NOTHING to do with the book, Sashana. She's dressed in rags pretty much the whole time, so I don't know what the marketing peeps were thinking.

I saw a lot of horrible quotes, and many of them are wince-inducing even in context. But it's more the overall focus on the writing over the other elements (you know, pesky things like plot, character development, etc) that bothered me rather than the purple prose. Which is admittedly very purple in a lot of places.

Charlotte Oh No! Bummer! So much hype for this. Glad I only got the sample on my nook so far.

Reynje Your placeholder just made me laugh :) Looking forward to your full review - sounds like we may be on the same page with this one :)

message 15: by Wendy Darling (last edited Dec 20, 2011 01:52PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Wendy Darling Have you read the sample yet, Charlotte? The first chapter is a pretty good indicator of whether you'll enjoy the book, I think, as the first half of it is pretty much written the same way.

Reynje...I suspect we are on the same page with this one. ;)

Elena, we were just discussing the X-Men thing over on my last status update for this book. I kept wondering why the book's blurb referred to it, and then at the end I finally got it--and the similarities really bothered me. The instalove thing was not compelling, either, though it didn't make me crazy the way it does in some other books. That's an interesting perspective on Adam (from your friend), though I'm not sure I believe that any boy is going to carry that memory for that many years.

I have to let it sit for a bit before I review, but I'll definitely put one up soon. :)

Charlotte No, but now I will just to see. I'm rarely caught on to a book in the first 50 pages, as set up drives me crazy, so it's hard for me to make a judgement off the samples sometimes. But I completely trust your judgement as we've agreed on so many things in the past.

Julianna Helms Aw, I really liked this book. You're right, though, it definitely is a very tricky book. I think... this book is very, very, dead-on. Like, either you love it, or you don't. I read somewhere that Tahereh hasn't seen X-Men (me neither) and didn't know about it until after she wrote the book and showed it to some of her friends, and I also read somewhere else (sorry for the vague references--can't remember anything concrete) that I mean, if you're a 17-year-old girl who has been locked up for almost a year and never been able to touch anyone, and suddenly you can touch a boy who you actually know and like, well, I guess that makes this relationship more acceptable. :)

Sydney omg wait i love this book!! I agree wit u Julianna... the mc kinda reminds me of katniss

Donna Awww, I liked this one. I had issues with the writing too though, it was a bit much. But I really liked the story! I can't wait to read your review!

CiderandRedRot Looking forward to reading your review - I gave up pretty early upon first reading, but it's fixture in people's best of lists has made me give it a second chance.

Wendy Darling Well, I'm curious what you'll think if you end up sampling it, Charlotte. You just never know.

Juli, I can see the point about never touching anyone and then suddenly getting to touch a boy you like. I guess I would have just liked to have seen more of their past history maybe (not a lot, just a little more) and more significant moments between them that indicated real tenderness or longing. I just wasn't convinced or compelled by their relationship, but it's clear that their story worked for a lot of people! Definitely a love it or hate it book for the most part.

Donna, I really wish the writing hadn't gotten so much in the way of the story. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on this one, too!

Sydney, you're definitely not alone in loving this book, hah. But I'm really surprised to hear you compare Juliette to Katniss--what qualities reminded you of her? I don't really see that myself.

Thanks CiderandRedRot, I'm curious if you'll find this better the second time around. I rather think that if you weren't into it from the very beginning, however, you're unlikely to enjoy it even if you read it all the way through.

message 22: by Soumi (last edited Dec 20, 2011 07:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soumi (view spoiler)

Wendy Darling I'd actually like to know more about Warner, too. And why both he and Adam (view spoiler)

message 24: by Soumi (last edited Dec 20, 2011 07:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soumi (view spoiler)

Wendy Darling I think so too, Soumi. Would you mind putting comments like that in spoiler tags, though? People read these comments who haven't read the book yet and I don't want anything to be spoiled for them.

Soumi ohh, sure thing :)

Wendy Darling Thanks! :)

Soumi welcome, hey Wendy, would you mind take a look on my review on this book?

Wendy Darling I will once I've written my own review, Soumi. I don't read any reviews of books I know I'm reading soon before I've read/reviewed it myself.

Soumi Ohhh, sure , me too do that, after writing my review i read what my friends wrote, that's a good thing, but thanks that ur gonna look at it after you finish yours :)

Liliana Saquicela I have to admit that once I read the quotes by themselves...they are super cheesy!!..but I did love the book as a whole...maybe it's all those metaphors...at certain points I'd be asking myself 'where did she come up with some of these things?

Julianna Helms Liliana wrote: "I have to admit that once I read the quotes by themselves...they are super cheesy!!..but I did love the book as a whole...maybe it's all those metaphors...at certain points I'd be asking myself 'wh..."

She certainly is quite creative with her imagination. ;)

Liliana Saquicela Julianna wrote: "Liliana wrote: "I have to admit that once I read the quotes by themselves...they are super cheesy!!..but I did love the book as a whole...maybe it's all those metaphors...at certain points I'd be a..."

Haha.....a little too much, I think, some I didn't even really get or got me confused....like what was up with the 'red' quotes? And at the beginning I wasn't even sure if she HAD rose petals on herself at first....but besides that I pretty much gobbled this book up!!

Charlotte Well Wendy, I read the sample (41 pages worth) and I have to say I'm intrigued. The crossed out text is a bit annoying but I get it and I think I can live with it. I'm torn... I'll probably just read it to satisfy my curiosity but I'm not sure when. I don't usually like to jump on a hyped up book's bandwagon, but I also let Unearthly sit on my shelf for about 5 months because of the hype and I seriously LOVED that book.

Wendy Darling Liliana, I winced at a lot of the quotes I read from friends' status updates, too, but they didn't bother me as much in context. They didn't really entrance me, however, and I found them more distracting than anything else.

But wait, some quotes were in red? I read this on my Kindle, so it was all black and white! Which parts were in red?? It's so weird how the reading experience is different in every format for this book!

Hm, you might enjoy it then, Charlotte. Are you able to try it out from the library first? If not, 41 pages is a pretty good gauge, I think, of whether the book will keep your interest.

I loved Unearthly too, though, and I would never compare this to that in a million years, hah!

Charlotte Ha! I love your steadfastness Wendy. I have not found much to compare to Unearthly either but I'm always looking for something that charges me the way it did. Not expecting this to but after all this talk back and forth and differing opinions on each end if the spectrum I find my curiosity even more piqued. I will go the library route or borrow from a friend. It's not like a 700 pager, right?

Wendy Darling Oh no, it's pretty short at 300+ pages. I look forward to seeing what you think of it, Charlotte.

Also, it's nice of you to say "steadfastness" when I'm sure you meant "stubborn." ;)

Sydney Wendy Darling wrote: "Well, I'm curious what you'll think if you end up sampling it, Charlotte. You just never know.

well there both strong and they fight 4 themselves... they also dont let the boy do all the work which is one of reason i loved the book!!

Wendy Darling Well, I'm glad you loved the book, Sydney. A lot of my other friends did, too, as you can see. I'm definitely going to come check out everybody's reviews once I've had a chance to write my own.

Julianna Helms Ooh, you might not wanna read mine, Wendy. It was in the prime of my fangirling session, so it's... a lot of fangirling. (view spoiler)

Reading Vacation Oh Wendy. One of my fav books ever. EVER.

Wendy Darling Aw, I'm sorry Melina and Julianna! I can't help how I feel about it, though. The book has really good ratings, so it seems most people seem to feel the same way you do.

Danielle Ooh, I saw this book at my library, too. Can't wait to read this when I get back; and I can't wait for this review!

Wendy Darling Well...if you're excited about reading this, you might want to wait to read my review then, Danielle. Hah! Sorry, I wasn't a huge fan of this one, though you may certainly enjoy it more than I did.

Cass -  Words on Paper When I was reading this book, I was gushing over it all. But now, after I've let my thoughts wander a bit, I'm finding it a bit difficult to remember exactly why I enjoyed it so much. :/ It was good, but there was so much disconnect with the characters, though Warner may be the exception with me (just because he's crazy and unforgettable). I'd probably give it a 4 now... Will be waiting to read the review!

Wendy Darling It's so funny you say that, Cass--my friend Tonya was the person who first interested me in the book a long time ago, and she rated it a 4 but then said something similar to me, about noticing some things later on which she didn't in the beginning. I'm going to let this sit for a bit, but will post a review soon. I'll definitely be by to check out your thoughts then, too!

I think Warner was the most interesting character to me, too.

Danielle Wendy Darling wrote: "Well...if you're excited about reading this, you might want to wait to read my review then, Danielle. Hah! Sorry, I wasn't a huge fan of this one, though you may certainly enjoy it more than I did."
Haha, I'll wait! :)

message 48: by Amanda (Good Choice Reading) (last edited Dec 28, 2011 03:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amanda (Good Choice Reading) Interested in seeing your thoughts on this one. I gave it four stars but every time I see or hear something about it, I have the urge to re-rate it. Definitely not a four star book in hindsight. I remember everything I didn't like and very little about what worked for me.

Am I the only one who kind of felt like it was X-Men (more specifically, Rogue) fan-fic?

Wendy Darling The first friend who interested me in this book said the same thing you did, Amanda, that she felt differently about it in hindsight. It's pretty interesting.

I didn't feel the X-Men thing all that much (in spite of her very Rogue-like powers) until the end, and then I got kind of annoyed once...you know. But some of my friends here are saying that the author says she never saw read or saw X-Men.

Amanda (Good Choice Reading) Hmm. I may not have made such a connection if it hadn't been compared to X-Men in the marketing. Then again, it was compared to Hunger Games as well and I see no similarities whatsoever aside from the dystopian aspect. (I'm also a big fan of X-Men, that probably didn't help either, lol.)

« previous 1